Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RANS Tinting Options for Windscreens and Windows.

Default RANS Tinting Options for Windscreens and Windows.

I have been told by my dermatologist that melanomas and other skin cancers are not to be taken lightly.

I always slap on sunscreen, slip on a hat, and slide into the shade when possible. I think in OZ they have a national cancer awareness campaign called slip, slap, and slide or something. I certainly donít need any more health issues.

So I have a couple of questions:

Does anyone know if RANS offers, or ever did offer, any skylight, window, or windscreen tinting options on any of their kits?

Do their kits come pre-tinted or are they supplied standard non-tinted?

Anyone have some recommendations for aftermarket tinting applications in case no factory tinting options are available? I know tinting is done for many reasons, but the skin cancer issue happens to be my personal concern even though I am not blonde and blue eyed.

Anyway, I have read on some other sites that some kit plane manufacturers do offer tinting. Here are a few perspectives from our colleagues over at VANS:

Link: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=154527

The standard canopy supplied in finish kits for all the different RV models is tinted at the darkest value legal for night flight. Darker tint is available as an option as well as additional UV protection.

Ö.AlsoÖ.

There is an "SC-15" option for both the canopy and the rear window for the 14. It is supposed to be the same tint but allows much lower UV. It's about $300 more than standard canopy/window.
    Incidentally, I am not advocating tinting, nor am I saying that a manufacturer needs to offer such an option. Iím just curious whatís available in the world of RANS, and what the options are for folks like me with skin concerns regardless of whether in a high or low wing.

" It's Always Something" - Gilda Radner (1946-1989)

" I love Horsepower, but love love love Torque "

" Nothings says poor workmanship like uneven duct tape "

Premium Member (Donated) maverick's Avatar

Review Koger for top, options may be LW.

Premium Member (Donated) s19flyer's Avatar

Blond blue eyed not a concern....redhead more so

No tinting options from Rans that I know of. Take your windshield/skylight and trace onto tinted Lexan if so inclined.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...x?itemid=23681

Find local supplier
    Glenn
    Avid Flyer, S6ES, S19, S20
    Remember, I am not immune to mistakes!
    What works for me may not work for you.

Premium Member (Donated)

Here you go Denali - my teenage years had this drilled into me.... We have the highest (still) rate of skin cancers in the world... I suppose that is what happens when the English colonise a sunny place!

https://youtu.be/tGgn5nwYtj0

Good point - most aftermarket tinting on CARS I see is just a film... Like this https://www.3m.com.au/3M/en_AU/autom...-solutions-au/ no idea if it works on plastic!

Premium Member (Donated) Emory Bored's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by s19flyer View Post
    Blond blue eyed not a concern....redhead more so

No tinting options from Rans that I know of. Take your windshield/skylight and trace onto tinted Lexan if so inclined.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...x?itemid=23681

Find local supplier
    I'm not sure what to make of this. My dad was very blond and very blue eyed and died from metastatic melanoma.

Premium Member (Donated) s19flyer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emory Bored View Post
    I'm not sure what to make of this. My dad was very blond and very blue eyed and died from metastatic melanoma.
    Sorry to hear that.

As long as I have been around I've read and heard that red headed folks (out of their mouths too, per their doctors) are more fair skinned and susceptible to sun burn and skin cancers than others.

But then our daughters cancer was supposed to present prior to her 5th birthday and it didn't so.....
    Glenn
    Avid Flyer, S6ES, S19, S20
    Remember, I am not immune to mistakes!
    What works for me may not work for you.

Perhaps off topic, briefly, redheads w/ blue eyes have higher %, more than redheads w/ brown. UV's then = turn pink, don't tan. Prior % is due to possessing Chromosome 11Q. In attending (2) seminars @ the Cancer Treatment Centers of Amer., Tulsa, in the 90s. 1st = 12 hrs., 1 1/2, pathology slides in dark conference room w/ Pharmacist spkr. 2nd one, N/A here. Validation / correlation based upon given.

I appreciate the concern about skin cancer. I wish Windknot were back again to comment on this topic. He is a professional RN now.

I did find some interesting links. The first one below discusses the reduction in UVA and UVB ultra violet radiation and skin cancer. The second link below has a listing of solar UV film and tinting products that have earned a seal of approval from The Skin Cancer Foundation.

I know the RANS has yet to deliver their first S-21 fuselage and finishing kit to a customer. I wonder, given enough interest in a tint option, whether RANS could offer an integrated TINT option for their S-21 Outbound kits. If say ten early adapters wrote in and expressed an interest prior to delivery, it might make for an easier business decision for Randy. When I look at the images of the American Champion Scout aircraft at the bottom of this post, Iím moved to say yes to a factory tint option.

Link: https://www.skincancer.org/preventio...ds-in-your-car

Excerpt:

Another sun safety strategy in the car is tinting or laminating (applying UV-protective film to) the window glass. Window tinting is regulated in many states, so be sure to check the laws, but clear window film is available throughout the country. One study noted a 93 percent reduction in skin cell death when UV exposure was filtered through UV-absorbing auto glass.10 Some films, when applied to car windows, can block 99.9 percent of UV rays.

Following all these precautions will help you stay sun-safe both on the road and once you reach your destination....
    View UV Film Products that Have Earned The Skin Cancer Foundation Seal of Approval

Link: https://www.skincancer.org/products?SubCategoryId=18

The first picture of a green American Champion Scout with front windscreen and back windows tinted. The side windows have been left untinted. The second shows a red American Champion Scout with all windows tinted. They both look good to me !

" It's Always Something" - Gilda Radner (1946-1989)

" I love Horsepower, but love love love Torque "

" Nothings says poor workmanship like uneven duct tape "

Oftentimes, owners tint to preserve avionics, dash, including but not limited to, maintaining seats & interior from degradation. Such as is seen in Ore. & Alaska. 655AC H.Q. in Baker City, Oregon. 34" annual snow, 100" precip., only sunny, warm Summers avg. 84/48 for 2 mos. 419DM H.Q. in Fairbanks. There twice, long Summer daylight hrs. but people in the Summer white, not tan due to Sun angle, Zenith. For those concerned, just tint top skylight HW, again Kogers for LW. The canopy covers by Rans for HW's, also Bruce's for LW's suitable when parked outside.

Basic Member

You don't necessarily need tint to block UV. If this of interest it'd be worthwhile to ask Rans what material is used for the windscreen and side windows.