Thread: Student pilot and 1st time plane owner in Arizona

Default Student pilot and 1st time plane owner in Arizona

Hello all!

I have much to learn and many questions but understand the importance of patience.

I just purchased a 2006 S6ES and am very excited. I was just about to solo in my instructors S-12 but will reset the clock and take some time to get used to my new flying machine before my instructor checks me off to solo in it.

First order of business is to put a new ground adjustable 3 blade Warp Drive prop on it and have the throttle adjusted. Also, it is looking like selecting the appropriate spinner is not exactly straight-forward.

Anyway, new to this forum but not new to special interest forums in general. Used to belong to the Yamaha FZ07 forum where I was an active participant and chronic motorcyle modifier and dragstrip enthusiast. Also a former regular at the DodgeCharger forum where they helped me get a 68 Charger that I had inherited from my stepdad going after it sat for 33 years. Great people all - but I sold both those machines to be able to buy this plane.

Sorry for the long intro - thanks for being here!

Premium Member (Donated) GravityKnight's Avatar

Welcome!

I knew I wanted to fly since I could crawl... my dad had a 150hp 150 when I was little.... got side tracked building/tuning/racing cars... only been flying for 6 years, look back and think why didn't I make it happen sooner! ...but a LOT of good education doing some pretty wild car stuff and other projects. Lots of it feeds into planes, and plenty new I've learned since buying a RANS 2.5 years ago and modifying the snot out of it. Great times! Lot's of hours in the air and in the hanger!

Hard to beat a RANS!
    S6S 116 w/VGs|MGL/FDS/AoA
    114hp zipper912|homebuilt headers/muffler/ram-air
    75"WW STOL|22x8.50mains/21x8.00nose/custom fork
    YouTube Channel

Welcome to the Clan! What made you get the S6 instead of an S12?

Premium Member (Donated)

Welcome to the Clan! Lots of talent here and everyone is willing to share....!
    Gerry Peterson
    N194GC reserved
    S-19 Relaxed Slow Build.....
    http://websites.expercraft.com/smoothy58/

Basic Member

Congrats on your S6. You may want to call Ted at B & B sport aviation in Cambridge ,md . He has the Kiev propellers in stock and has sold several of them to S6 owners. He is an S6 Guy and pitched mine perfect the first time

Premium Member (Donated) maverick's Avatar

Welcome aboard. As stated above, Kiev good. If considering Warp, give Darren a call @ Warp in Iowa. He's excellent, you will not be disappointed. As you've not yet stated your engine, spinner options, sizes, would be dependent on info. Where is your home field in AZ? What wing do you have?

Premium Member (Donated) s19flyer's Avatar

Welcome....some unasked for advice....if it's a 912...get the tapered tips and not the square tips if set on a Warp....better yet...for better performance....said Kiev or Whirlwind.....Mark Pringle with RMK can set you up with a Whirlwind and Ted the Kiev

Enjoy the ride!

I have been for 43 years
    Glenn
    Avid Flyer, S6ES, S19, S20
    Remember, I am not immune to mistakes!
    What works for me may not work for you.

Thanks all!

I went with the S6 over the S12 for the extra cruise speed and spacious cabin.

I have to say right off the bat that the gentleman who built the plane did a fabulous job and that he recommenced swapping out the wood 2 blade fixed pitch Sensenich for something that could get a better bite on the dry air here in the high desert. My CFI/mechanic/friend agrees and now am just waiting for the warp drive to show up and need to order a spinner. Then I want to start racking up the quality time with that sweet machine and get my ticket!

The plane has the 912 ULS in it and the 116 wing.

I plan on hangering it at either E77 or KAVQ once I get my sport pilot certificate - hopefully by June or so.

I love the idea of building a plane but I'm jumping in the game pretty late here at 60 years young. I really just want to develop my skills to become a super-safe pilot and enjoy flying for as many years as possible. My wife is really excited too and we hope to do a lot of 3-4 hour cross county flying around the Arizona / New Mexico area.

Thanks for the warm welcome all!

Premium Member (Donated) maverick's Avatar

S6S, 912ULS, 3bl. Warp tapered tip. run a UHS 11" - 1' metal spinner (from UHS.) 2004 spinner & back plate $190. Ck. w/ A.C.S, others, no clue prices. Gravity Knight put VG's on his similar 116 wing, noted diff. Find old posts for more info. via home page. Std. wing here, VG's on.