Thread: Rans S14

Basic Member

Default Rans S14

Hi! I am new here and have a few questions I hope someone can help with.

I found a 2000 Rans S14 for sale that I am interested in. It has 70 hours TT with 15 hours on a 582 Rotax. It was never registered and there are no log books. It is in flying condition and priced right. I have owned general aviation planes and been a pilot for over 40 years but I'm new to experimental planes. Is the fact that it has never been registered and has no log books an issue? I'm impressed with the S14, are they a decent plane? Any info and or help is greatly appreciated! JS.

Premium Member (Donated) maverick's Avatar

Jerrry, welcome aboard!. I know of this one out in Tacoma area, Puget Sound. Yes, priced right per your statement. Re. Line #4 Q: as it has no AW cert., no log books, couldn't be reg. then, nor can it be now. You'd have to have all the original bld. photos, original kit bill of sale,+ more etc. to even see if there would be a flexible D.A.R. to even consider scheduling a visit. A low % to pull it off. It is priced low, as dead in the eyes of the FAA. The only other path is to attempt registration as Experimental Exhibition. This is known not to be a desirable category, however an option to pursue. You may want to research this, as potential limitations apply. If you flew out of a ranch, farm, strip, never close to a tower, given no N#, then you're fine. If you ever had a forced landing, safely in a field, + the Sheriff's Office came out, I'd not envy you. Gos, keep in mind the ability to ever re-sell, except farmer / rancher may not care of status , lacking normal requirements. The 14 comes w/ 2 wing options: 139 long wing, or tapered wing app. 5' shorter. If drum brakes, Black Max makes a conversion kit to hydraulics. Given buyer's price, wiggle room for this option. Bottom line: if comfortable w/o paper work to purchase now, vs. waiting + spending more w/ logs, AW cert., data plate, N#...IMO, as others chime in.
    Last edited by maverick; 02-07-2018 at 01:12 PM.

Premium Member (Donated) Emory Bored's Avatar

Call your local FSDO and schedule an in person appointment. Not a telephone interview! You may be able to classify it as "parts" and go from there. It just depends.

Basic Member

It is in the Tacoma area, Spanaway to be exact. I do have my own airstrip, but if I buy it I want to go other places too. He is asking 7K but I think it could be had for a lot less. Funny, it has N numbers on it, they trace to a Cessna 210 in Florida. The guys been flying it and I guess doesn't really care. Its a decent plane for the money, if you can sort the paperwork out. JS.