Thread: S-4/5 Re-vamp

Basic Member

Default S-4/5 Re-vamp

If RANS (read me, working on this in my spare time) were to offer a re-vamped S-4/5, what would be some of the "must haves" you would expect? Here is my short list:

More head room, via skylight
    Swing wing
    Super strong landing gear

Premium Member (Donated)

Stressed for aerobatics would be nice. Not necessarily +6/-3 but maybe +5/-2 like the citabria or similar. Like my 2015 S7, I'm sure it's probably "ok" for gentlemans aerobatics, but increasing the positive g limit above +4 would provide a more comfortable margin when recovering out of positive g vertical maneuvers. Before you use all of your spare time with an S4/5 re-vamp, can you design a belly pod for the S7? Thanks for what you do, I absolutely love my new S7, it's a pleasure to fly.
    Mike

Basic Member

The belly pod is one of those projects we have done designs studies, but not ready to fabricate. We did add the tabs to late model air frames
    to accept one.

Premium Member (Donated) RANS Pilot's Avatar

Relocating the fuel cap ( it was a pain to put fuel in on mine). Moving the fuel cap to the top or further back on the side for instance ?

Also maybe create a small cabin width storage pouch such as what the S6 has with access from the side. It probably wouldn't hold a lot, but some is better than none. If that was done right you might be able to sale an accessory kit to existing
    S4/5 owners. I couldn't remember, since its been 10 years or more since I had mine if the rudder cables would be in the way or
    not, if it would interfere with the location of any suggested storage space ?
    Bill Pickle

Rans S-14, Rans S6 (Under Construction)
    Rans S-4 (Sold), Rans S-5 (Sold), Rans S-12 (Sold)

Basic Member

Really good feed back, and good to see I am right on course with the design wishes. If and when I get a chance to work on this project I will be posting progress.

Premium Member (Donated) Emory Bored's Avatar

Probably way out of the design goals but folding wings are a thought.

The S4/S5 might be a decent platform on which to try out electrical propulsion systems.

If you look at the wingspan, length, and single cockpit width of the aeromarine-LSA company's Merlin PSA, it is somewhat similar in dimensions to the S5. Both are small single seat aircraft with limited fuel and load capacity. Incidentally, Chip Erwin is looking at putting in an electrical motor and batteries in place of the 2 cycle Rotax.

The Merlin PSA is of course all metal, and Chip is offering a 2 -4 week quick-build builder assist program.

RANS S5

Merlin PSA

Last edited by Denali; 01-30-2018 at 02:04 AM.
    " It's Always Something" - Gilda Radner (1946-1989)

" I love Horsepower, but love love love Torque "

" Nothings says poor workmanship like uneven duct tape "

Basic Member

If we do this project some of the goals are:

Low cost
    Small shipping container, thus lower shipping cost
    A higher level of part fabrication, but this will be something simple, like cutting tubes to length
    Exceptional STOL performance. I want to get back to the 40 to 60' take offs we had with the first S-4's
    Exceptional handling. I love well balanced controls, light, responsive and fun to simply crank and bank.-Cheers!

Does anyone remember what a RANS S5 kit cost “back in the day” ? I'm just curious. As a neat little plane that you could tuck into a trailer, the S5 might be an attractive package, particularly as a second very affordable sort of “fun” airplane. What's that old saying about planes...??.... one is not enough and three is too many ..??

A new Generation RANS S5.2 featuring:

• Quick & Simple Assembly
    • Easy Portability
    • Flexibility in Powerplants
    • Option for Ultralight or Higher Build Categories.

From a reliability standpoint, I personally do not have the Cajones to fly a 2 stroke, so I’d need a 4 stroke or an electric option. Yeah that's a toughie, meaning an HKS or Pegasus engine maybe? Maybe a 2 stroke + BRS would be acceptable. Maybe I can grow some Bigger Cajones.

In any case, I do applaud this fresh thinking from RANS for a New Generation S5. Very cool !

Finally, like many of my American brethren, I am a bit overweight. Hmm… make that a lot overweight. Anyway, I’d probably have no choice but to build in the non-ultralight category, but that’s just me. Making the S5 available in multiple build configurations would help broaden the potential customer base.

Gotta go….the Dominos Pizza Delivery guy is at the door…. again...
    " It's Always Something" - Gilda Radner (1946-1989)

" I love Horsepower, but love love love Torque "

" Nothings says poor workmanship like uneven duct tape "