Thread: Nosedragger?

Basic Member

Default Nosedragger?

I thought it was inevitable that I would build a Taildragger, it just seems more machoÖ But it sure would be convenient and low stress to have a little tri gear that anyone could fly. Iím not familiar with the Rans nose gear, is it steerable with good suspension? Is it rugged? I live on a concrete runway, but would like to land on remote strips but I really donít see the nose Dragger as being a hindrance at all Especially with a powerful horizontal tail let you hold it off at low speedís.
    Rick Smith at LA87 Built Sidewinder N299RS, RV-6 N1150S

Premium Member (Donated) GravityKnight's Avatar

I believe the S-21 nosewheel setup is similar to the s-19, which means it's not steerable, and is castering. But it is simple, and robust to look at. Looks like it would hold up very well. My steerable, disconnect-able in the air, nosewheel in the s6 is pretty tough as well. Randy did a nice job with the nosewheels from what I have seen. I've seen 172's and other firewall mounted setups up close and they are scary, these hook into the chromoly frame and have a little more meat to them. The 21/19 style wouldn't worry me too much, it may be a little bit of a battle in a heavy crosswind until you have plenty of rudder authority, I know it can be that way in the 19, the 21 it might not be an issue depending on the size of the rudder etc.
    S6S 116 w/VGs|MGL/FDS/AoA
    114hp zipper912|homebuilt headers/muffler/ram-air
    75"WW STOL|22x8.50mains/21x8.00nose/custom fork
    YouTube Channel

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Airfoil View Post
    I thought it was inevitable that I would build a Taildragger, it just seems more machoÖ But it sure would be convenient and low stress to have a little tri gear that anyone could fly. Iím not familiar with the Rans nose gear, is it steerable with good suspension? Is it rugged? I live on a concrete runway, but would like to land on remote strips but I really donít see the nose Dragger as being a hindrance at all Especially with a powerful horizontal tail let you hold it off at low speedís.
    Even though I've flown nose wheel planes for most of my 52 years of flying I do have about 500 hrs of tailwheel time and there was no doubt that I want to build the tail wheel configuration. The S-21 has the makings of a pretty good back country plane and I think having more prop clearance, the ability to have larger tires if you choose and the lower weight is reason enough to go with the tail wheel. I don't think macho has anything to do with it. The only advantage of a nosewheel I can think of is the possibility of ground looping is pretty much eliminated. Anyone I choose to let fly the plane will have to be proficient with tail draggers.

Basic Member

Now that my head is clear it is inevitable that I’m gonna build a Taildragger and there something satisfying about a beautifully executed landing in a nice crosswind.
    Plus living in central Texas swear every place is far, my intention is to optimize the cruise speed probably with 6 x 6 maingear and wheel pants
    Rick Smith at LA87 Built Sidewinder N299RS, RV-6 N1150S

Premium Member (Donated) s19flyer's Avatar

The S-20 Taildragger is pretty tame. Yea I said it....LOL

Hopefully the S-21 will be the same.
    Glenn
    Avid Flyer, S6ES, S19, S20 In Progress
    http://www.mykitlog.com/s19flyer
    Remember, I am not immune to mistakes!
    What works for me may not work for you.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Airfoil View Post
    Now that my head is clear it is inevitable that Iím gonna build a Taildragger and there something satisfying about a beautifully executed landing in a nice crosswind.
    Plus living in central Texas swear every place is far, my intention is to optimize the cruise speed probably with 6 x 6 maingear and wheel pants
    Something no one has mentioned is fairings for the strut/wing and fuselage junction. This area creates a lot of turbulence and drag and is probably worth the effort to add a faring. I wonder if Randy will do that down the road, or maybe adapt one from a Cessna 180 or some other plane.

Basic Member

I am planning to build the nose wheel version. The tailwheel advantages really aren’t needed where I plan to go. I even like the appearance of nosewheel planes better than tailwheel. Plus ground visibility and no ground loops is nice. To each his own...

Kip wrote :

Something no one has mentioned is fairings for the strut/wing and fuselage junction. This area creates a lot of turbulence and drag and is probably worth the effort to add a faring. I wonder if Randy will do that down the road, or maybe adapt one from a Cessna 180 or some other plane.
    I hope RANS will offer these as an option. However ... I bet some smart enterprising soul with a 3 D printer and or access to Carbon Fiber manufacturing will offer something ...probably way before any factory official versions come out.

" It's Always Something" - Gilda Radner (1946-1989)

" I love Horsepower, but love love love Torque "

" Nothings says poor workmanship like uneven duct tape "