Thread: Stiff flaps S6 116

Basic Member

Default Stiff flaps S6 116

I have had a problem with my 1993 S6-116 since I bought it 5 years back .

The flaps are quite stiff and if I want the third stage I really have to pull hard and the speed needs to be way way back ,a while back the lever snapped at the point where the cable goes through, this happened whilst selecting 3 rd stage , it just sheared after years of fatigue.

In the past I have had it apart and worked the Teleflexes independently and they don't appear to be stiff but as a group of 3 there is a definite tension, there are two springs in t

I managed to find a salvaged lever but it is shorter and requires extra pull ,due to the shorter arm. I now have one the correct length, I am going to go over the whole system as this cant be correct or were the early ones troublesome?

Would welcome replies from anyone who has experienced and overcome this problem, or general tips on setting up the flap system

Thanks
    Alan

If inclined, PM Gravity Knight, as flies 116 wing. I encountered a very strong pull on original long handle, but my std. wing initially. More sq. footage to pull than 116. Ordered flap lever retro kit @ $140, no P/N, as described. KPooo1 = $10, no description iin bldg. logs, ordered same day, maybe an access. It comes obviously w/ the upgraded shorter handle, 2 pc. bracket + notched system to assemble. I recall using a butane torch, on the R+R, per 10 yrs., so you might need one. It took 1/2 day, but 100% improvement. As others chime in, it sounds as if you've gone to the shorter handle, but still have not changed out what you need to. Call Hays, price now maybe diff., + ask if KP0001 is access. to it. If inclined later, let us know how it turned out...woman pilot Size 5/6 could pull.

Premium Member (Donated) GravityKnight's Avatar

Mine are a little 'hard' to pull at speed. But not bad, depends on what a person considers hard. I don't think I'm pulling hard enough to damage anything in the flap system - that is an opinion though and while I'd hope it's a decently accurate opinion.. it's still just that.

I modified mine, made a new connection between the cable and the flap so I could change up the ration just slightly. Gave myself the same angle when they are down, but they go up about 2 deg higher for better cruise. This puts every so slightly more load on the system though so I only use them at ~70mph instead of 80mph. Which should be plenty safe considering 1-2mph of change probably would account for my mod.

Anyway, what speeds are you pulling them on?

Other thing is I have to assume a 93 model is probably quite different from my 05 model? I don't know that for sure, just thinking out loud....
    S6S 116 w/VGs|MGL/FDS/AoA
    114hp zipper912|homebuilt headers/muffler/ram-air
    75"WW STOL|22x8.50mains/21x8.00nose/custom fork
    YouTube Channel

Basic Member

Speeds 75mph 1st stage ,<70 2nd , <65 3rd

I have located the problem the flap frame has an aluminum channel block on the top that the trim wheel assy attaches to.
    The block is straight at the top but angled at the bottom to accommodate the flap lever angle as it rises, this was installed the wrong way around causing a jam around position 3. I don't know when this error was made but suspect its been that way for many years. I think the original lever had taken a set just about allowing 3rd stage, but creating a stress load around the hole where the steel wire connects.

Eventually it sheared, when I put in the temporary short lever I assumed that an increased stiffness was being caused by a lack of leverage and just did not bother with 3rd as the force was obviously to high.This was partially correct with regard to MOMENT.

Lessons? Should have gone deeper at the beginning, I was a little influenced by general Internet chatter ref stiff flap on the 116, I did diagnose the problem to the right area but it only revealed when I tried the new lever without the block in place. Even simple systems have some complexity.

I still have to want that last stage but that's now an aerodynamic/speed matter, the loads are reasonable and acceptable.

Thanks for your good advice as always .

Alan