Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brett's S-20 Build

Premium Member (Donated)

Mike and Steve,

Thanks for the feedback.

Steve, I've found your kitlog to be one of the most beneficial places for open comments about each step. The way you describe the step and follow with your notes and lessons learned is extremely helpful for rubes like me. The conduit test panels was a direct pull from your thread. It's also a great way to get keep my hands busy while patiently (impatiently) waiting for word from Shelly.

Brett
    S-20 build is imminent

Premium Member (Donated) Nova Scotian's Avatar

Hey Brett,

Maybe mention to your friend to look into a parrot vise while waiting for his kit to arrive. I have a couple of them that I use for guitar building and find them pretty helpful for holding aircraft parts for deburring, rivetting, etc. Mounted them to boards so that I can move them around and just clamp the board where needed on my work benches.

I see you are in Florida, so your friend must be luring people with American beer? Hmm, think I'll go grab me a Canadian beer... more than makes up for the fact that it snowed here last night.

Good luck with the build... hope you don't have to wait too long to get started.

Al

Premium Member (Donated)

I'm finally making an airplane. My kit was supposed to ship on 28 December, but troubles with ABF caused it to ship on 29 Dec. That resulted in the kit sitting through the New Year's weekend before starting my way. The eventual effect was that the kit didn't show up in Tampa until after I left on a business trip. My wife took a U-Haul to pick the crate up from the ABF customer service center in Tampa on 15 January. She and some family broke the crate apart in the U-Haul and loaded the kit in our garage. Impressive performance from the family team, but certainly a disappointment that I couldn't be there for the first step. It goes without saying that my wife is a keeper.

I first met our new plane on Sunday after a day+ travel back from Korea. I tried to start the inventory, but didn't have the faculties to do it. Over the past three days, we completed the inventory and got all the parts organized in the garage. Here are a couple lessons we've learned so far:

- Unpacking: Getting in the crate is no easy task. The crate frame and plywood covering are held together with some nails, screws, and a load of staples. Getting into the crate was difficult enough for my wife that she wasn't able to salvage much of the wood. The plywood came apart where she plied it from the frame.

- Inventory: My wife didn't have the luxury of organizing things when they unloaded. Thus, our garage was a random scattering of parts. I thought about different techniques for organizing things for the inventory, but decided to use a blunt force method. I picked boxes/packages and marked them when inventoried. When done, I'd separated things by how they could be stored (FWF for storage, smaller items, hardware, larger items, etc.). After the initial inventory, I had eight items that were unaccounted for. I reattacked everything and reduced the issues list to two items. I found a strobe light mount part that didn't have a priority number in with another part. The last issue was a plastic part listed as a quantity of two, but I could only find one. I figured out that both plastic covers were on the same piece. The remedial inventory allowed me to refine the storage organization. Felt great to get the inventory done without having to ask RANS. Whew. RANS packing accuracy: NAILED IT!

- Storage: I repeatedly asked myself during the week what to do with all those big parts in my garage, which is still being used for some household purposes. Solutions started to materialize as the week went along. I hung the cowlings from the ceiling on one side of the garage. It's high enough that it doesn't interfere with things. I found protected spaced for the larger items such as sheet metal package, windscreen, doors, windows, empennage stuff, etc. I've still got some work to do such as organization of hardware and of the small parts. I'm not in a huge hurry to tackle that for a couple reasons. I have identified all the parts necessary for the first couple tasks. I'll also have a better idea of how to organize after doing a couple of the initial tasks. Lastly, I'm only sleeping until 3am everyday as my system adjusts back to Easter Time. Organizing hardware is a quiet task that I can plug away at while the family sleeps.

First build task: Mount a tire on a rim. I chose an initial tasks that was relatively simple and presented low risk of permanently destroying something. I got one tire mounted between kids gymnastics and soccer pickups. The tire was still holding air this morning, so I'll celebrate success. When I remounted the hydraulic brake assembly on the wheel, the brake assembly rests against the tire. That's not a concern yet. We'll see how that works out once the wheel is mounted on the gear.

So far we've at least done something small every day. Gonna work on the other tire tonight. I'll also try to take a couple parts to get painted such as the gear legs, tail spring, and engine mount. I'm not set up to paint anything yet and I want to get the steel items painted before the coastal Florida air gets to them. Still deciding what paint method to use (Powder coat vs. conventional painting).

I'll post some pictures when I figure that out. The kids are really enjoying the adventure so far.

Brett
    Last edited by moppready; 01-25-2018 at 05:34 PM.
    S-20 build is imminent

Premium Member (Donated)

Brett, I like what your doing. I would like to hear your choice on the engine for your project.

I live up the 75 in Lake City and curious.

Dale

Premium Member (Donated)

Dale,

Thanks for checking in. I’m going with the Rotax 912ULS. I got the FWF lit already. I just sold a IO-550 equipped Cessna 206 that only had to carry my butt on hour jaunts around the local area for the last two years. I don’t have a large performance need. The 912 also poses lower risk for me during my first build.

You’re welcome down anytime to check things out.

Brett
    S-20 build is imminent

Premium Member (Donated)

All,

I'm going to update this thread with my progress over the last couple weeks. I've spent time logging my work on KitLog, but haven't figured out how to get that on mykitlog.

Receiving the Crate:

Today, 15 January, ended up being the big day. After waiting impatiently for a couple months, the fuselage and FWF crate arrived in Tampa. I opted for the new, all-metal 141 wing, which will ship in due time.

My kit was ready to ship on 28 Dec, but ABF failed to have the local freight company pick up. I had to get things going myself on 29 Dec, which meant the kit didn't start moving my way with ABF until after the New Years holiday. I had the kit shipped to the Tampa terminal so we could pick it up in a U-Haul. I don't have the ability to download the crate at my house, so we would have to break the crate apart in the truck.

Challenge, I had to leave on a work trip when the kit arrived. ABF's delay meant my wife and dad would have to take care of the kit download. They picked up the kit on 15 Jan and unloaded the contents into our garage. We've attempted to break down the crate into usuable wood for tables and such, but the number of staples and nails has so far caused us to leave it stacked up on the side. It also resulted in my Dad being the first one to put their blood into the project. Couple small cuts later the kit was in the garage.

Very successful day and I owe a lot to my wife for taking on this task while I was away. She's a keeper.

S-20 build is imminent

Premium Member (Donated)

Brett,
    Good luck on the build! I am also blessed with a wife who is active on the builds. I am based in Deland with my S19. I am a Rotax trained A&P I.A. if I can assist you with anything ( just finished an Aircam with two engine installs��).
    Phil Risley
    A&P I/A
    www.mykitlog.com/philrisl/