Thread: Lyc O290 on S19

Basic Member

Default Lyc O290 on S19

What are some thoughts on a Lycoming O290 on an S19?

I found a really good deal on a Lycoming O290. My brother bought it to put on his Grumman AA1A in place of the O235. He sold the Grumman before he had a chance to overhaul the O290 and swap the engines.

I am not a 19 owner, as others chime in. I do know 2 that run it in their PA22 Pacers. My concern is the empty wt. + useful. The 0-290D = 230# dry, O-290D2A = 264# as no specific Bro's model given. Dep. on P&I, etc., S19 can = 846#. Empty then = 1070 -1100# w 0-290 D or D2A. F.F. of 24 = 146# = ramp wt. of app. 1215# - 1245#. W/ a LSA of 1320 #, = 75 - 105# pilot. Given your Bro's. good deal, one option could include, but be ltd. to, to sell it for ad admirable profit + then use $ $ to consider something lighter. Glenn, Arkansas, Phil, Randy, others, can chime in on CG , + if it would = nose heavy on landing.

Premium Member (Donated)

I have to believe it would be quite nose heavy. Originally the Lyc O233 was being supported, I think there were only a couple done with it. The plane was designed at (I believe) 1475 pounds, if it were kept at light sport weight it would have less than 450 lb useful.
    Phil Risley
    A&P I/A
    www.mykitlog.com/philrisl/

Basic Member

I'm not really building for light sport. I have my PPL and no problems with medical(s). The weight was my only/main concern.

Premium Member (Donated) WWhunter's Avatar

Total personal opinion here, but I would steer you away from the 290. They are getting hard to get parts for and when you do find them, they are pricey.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    Total personal opinion here, but I would steer you away from the 290. They are getting hard to get parts for and when you do find them, they are pricey.

That's good info. I didn't know that.

Premium Member (Donated) WWhunter's Avatar

Like I mentioned, opinion only but having been in the flying game for over 30 years, I have learned a few things the hard way. The O-290 really is/was a good engine but it's time has passed. There are still a lot of them out there in Cubs and Pacers but the guys I know that have them are the one's that have told me the tales of hard to find parts and the costs of them. Most guys will replace their engine with an O-320 instead of trying to repair or rebuild their 290's. Have a friend that is going through this exact scenario right now. He had to replace a cylinder and is now looking for a different engine due to the inavailabilty of getting parts. Even saying this, if you find one for cheap and it is in good condition, by all means use it. It may last you a long time and be a good engine, and in the meantime be on the look out for a replacement when funds allow.

Basic Member

Thanks WW. I'll do some homework.

Premium Member (Donated) s19flyer's Avatar

You also don't want to put a lot of extra weight on the nose wheel strut. Less is better sometimes.
    Glenn
    Avid Flyer, S6ES, S19, S20 In Progress
    http://www.mykitlog.com/s19flyer
    Remember, I am not immune to mistakes!
    What works for me may not work for you.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by s19flyer View Post
    You also don't want to put a lot of extra weight on the nose wheel strut. Less is better sometimes.

I agree with this too.