Thread: In-cockpit STOL footage of the zipper s6 at high altitude!

Premium Member (Donated) GravityKnight's Avatar

Default In-cockpit STOL footage of the zipper s6 at high altitude!

Playing around a bit yesterday. DA ranged from 8000-8500 (ground elevation 6600-7300).
    12-13 gallons fuel, plus me (about 1070lbs).

But I did have some headwind on the first take off, and the ones coming in over the house. The field landing and take off it was basically calm.

You can hold it off until around 40mph indicated, or even in the high 30's if you get the nose real high. But in these I'm letting it touch in the low 40's I guess after watching the video. I yard it off the ground at about 40mph indicated (grab full flaps and a little yank on the stick and it pops off, then ground effect for a couple seconds to get the flaps back up... best technique I've come up with so far for leaving the ground quick).

The zipper plus custom headers, muffler, ram-air with airbox etc. really does perform well. Take off roll is extremely short with some headwind, and still short without (field take off).
    I love the STOL performance - even with the speed wing!!! (VG's make all the difference). I literally can't imagine what this plane at sea level with a smaller pilot, low fuel, no baggage etc. could do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgsHZgbKE14

Thanks for watching!
    S6S 116 w/VGs|MGL/FDS/AoA
    114hp zipper912|homebuilt headers/muffler/ram-air
    75"WW STOL|22x8.50mains/21x8.00nose/custom fork
    YouTube Channel

Premium Member (Donated)

Nice Todd, thanks for posting

Premium Member (Donated) WWhunter's Avatar

Thumbs up!!!

This, Castle Pines, etc. would be an admirable selling video for Rans H.Q. to sell kits. The potentiality exists that they should consider having a modest video theater room in Hays. Visitors, potential kit buyers, could then select from a selection, such as these + other videos submitted to view...as visitors, potential kit buyers not knowledgeable of the Rans clan nor these fine, dynamic examples.

Premium Member (Donated)

Nice video and flying!
    May i ask how do you like that inclinometer from lev o gage?
    /Jimmy

Premium Member (Donated) GravityKnight's Avatar

Thanks guys!

Thanks Mav, it would be a good move to collect a lot of clips, and do some editing into a promo movie type thing! I agree with that!

Jimmy.. haha that was kind of a joke honestly... I had a second inclometer on the pass side, but moved it to the top of the panel on my side a long time ago.. and still don't use it!! but I had this blank spot, and figured I better have something over there. It doesn't work all that well!! best to spring $50+ for a real one.. but the name cracked me up when I saw it on amazon.
    S6S 116 w/VGs|MGL/FDS/AoA
    114hp zipper912|homebuilt headers/muffler/ram-air
    75"WW STOL|22x8.50mains/21x8.00nose/custom fork
    YouTube Channel

Premium Member (Donated)

Ok, Thanks for the info.