Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: to powder coat or not ?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by pouellette View Post
    The pressurized nitrogen process is used mostly in high end aerobatic airplanes. The reason is not for corrosion protection but to detect any cracks in the airframe that would compromise structural integrity. A pressure gage is mounted in the frame in the cockpit. Any pressure loss would indicate a crack in the frame.
    That I didn't know. But, oxygen is necessary in order for rust to form. By eliminating O2, seems the corrosion problem would be solved? (again I complete my thought with a question mark

Premium Member (Donated) GravityKnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pouellette View Post
    The pressurized nitrogen process is used mostly in high end aerobatic airplanes. The reason is not for corrosion protection but to detect any cracks in the airframe that would compromise structural integrity. A pressure gage is mounted in the frame in the cockpit. Any pressure loss would indicate a crack in the frame.
    wow! learned something new today
    S6S 116 w/VGs|MGL/FDS/AoA
    114hp zipper912|homebuilt headers/muffler/ram-air
    75"WW STOL|22x8.50mains/21x8.00nose/custom fork
    YouTube Channel

Premium Member (Donated)

Powder coat or paint, my thought is the inside of the frame will last longer than the outside. Even if it is not treated. The more exposure the more the problem, right? I guess it depends on where you live on making the decision of inside corrosion protection.

Dale