Thread: Mounting an iPad in the Panel...

Administrator Site Admin RANSCLAN.com's Avatar

Default Mounting an iPad in the Panel...

My original plan for the instrument panel was to use two Dynon HDX screens. As the panel design progressed, for a number of reasons I chose to use one HDX screen and an iPad running foreflight.

I mounted my iPad with a mount and power supply from Guardian Avionics. I originally just bought the actual mount and installed it in the panel. My plan was to hide a USB port behind the panel where I could plug in the iPad. After speaking with Ryan from Guardian at Oshkosh, I decided to order their full system (minus the mount since I already had that.)

Here's what a complete system looks like when it arrives:

It consists of the mount, a power supply module, a power cord, an audio cord, and the pins and D Sub connector which the installer builds. Don't worry-it literally takes 5 minutes to build the connector.

When the mount is installed in the panel, you have a very nice and professional looking installation:

Here is why I bought their power supply instead of buying a cheapo USB port and mounting it behind the panel. The first reason is that some cheap, or "non-aviation" USB ports can cause static in your radio. Ryan also discussed with me that plugging the iPad into a USB port means that the iPad is charging all the time. So if you put the iPad in the plane and let's say it's 95% charged, and you are going on a long flight with it plugged in, it can overcharge and overheat. There's no way for the iPad to stop the charge once it's fully charged. With the USB module that Guardian makes, it is 'smart' and it knows when to stop charging the iPad. I believe this is better for the battery and for reducing the heat.

The other small advantage to using their charging unit is that it has another USB port on the front (the iPad power cord gets hardwired into the back of the unit with 5 wires). There's three wires for the cord, and a + and - wire.

Obviously you can mount the little box anywhere you want, and most people mount it in the panel. I chose to mount mine on the side of the center console just because when I have my phone plugged into it, there are no cords getting tangled in my lap.

Here's the back side of that little cube. It's about 1.5" by 1.5":

Admittedly, the mount and the electronics to power it are not inexpensive, but I think it's an excellent system and worth every dollar spent. Another thing to consider is that with their mount, you can not use the charger cord that comes with your iPad. The mount is designed to hold a cord that has a larger 'head' on it that fits snuggly in the mount.

What I like about the Guardian Avionics mount is that the iPad slides in and out in less than a second. It's super easy to take it in and out. So if you are on your way to Oshkosh and stop for fuel, you can take your iPad into the FBO, log on to the WiFi and update your weather, NOTAMS, or flight plan. Then bring it back out to the plane and snap it back in the panel.

http://www.guardianavionics.com
    Mark Pensenstadler
    Site Admin
    S-10 | S-6S | RV-7 | Cherokee 160 | Zenith Cruzer

Premium Member (Donated) s19flyer's Avatar

I have the guardian panel mount for my iPad.

I am using the Powerwerx USB Buddy for charging it. I disagree with their assessment of the iPad continuing to charge once it reaches 100%. If that were the case then if you had it plugged in to an outlet overnight it would burn up if it got to 100%.

I bought an audio chord for an iPad and then wired it into my Dynon hard wire music in. That big cap that you have to use for the Rotax quiets a lot of noise if there's any in your system. The only noise I had was the cooling fan on the glare shield. Once I started using that big cap instead of my power supply everything went quiet.

They make good products and their customer support is great! Looks like you have the ultimate setup, but mine will work too.

I started mine for the first time today (between rain storms) and everything went great!
    Glenn
    Avid Flyer, S6ES, S19, S20 In Progress
    http://www.mykitlog.com/s19flyer
    Remember, I am not immune to mistakes!
    What works for me may not work for you.

Administrator Site Admin RANSCLAN.com's Avatar

Glenn, I was told by Apple that the 'brain' of their iPhone or iPad charger is in the plug part that plugs into a wall. That's what cut the charge power when the iPad is fully charged. That's what Apple told me anyway...

I'm one of those guys that doesn't like to listen to music in the airplane so I didn't wire in the audio cord. Congrats on getting your engine fired up! I'm close to getting mine fired up too-just trying to get all the settings in the Dynon set first.
    Mark Pensenstadler
    Site Admin
    S-10 | S-6S | RV-7 | Cherokee 160 | Zenith Cruzer

Premium Member (Donated) s19flyer's Avatar

Apple should know!

But none of my charging power supplies have kept up so far anyway so I doubt they will get to 100% Foreflight with ADSB in and composite radar weather via ADSB (Stratux) draws a lot of power so at the very least I'm hoping it keeps up!

I have the Dynon maps and ADSB IN/OUT so I don't really need the iPad anyway. Nice to have a backup though.

Good luck on the settings. I thought I had everything set, but had to go back in and set the parameters for the EGT and and CHT today. If you don't set the bottom range to zero they will blank out on your screen until they come into range after it's started.

Way too much stuff in it for me!

I'd rather listen to music than ATC any day! Besides the Shop Foreman might want to watch a movie to go along with her little bags of peanuts!
    Glenn
    Avid Flyer, S6ES, S19, S20 In Progress
    http://www.mykitlog.com/s19flyer
    Remember, I am not immune to mistakes!
    What works for me may not work for you.