Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 2017/18 Update: Toolkit Recommendations for Building the All Metal RANS S-21

Basic Member

Yeah, they just finalized it based on an e-mail I received. I kind of feel like I have to buy the kit because otherwise I don't have a clue how many clecos of what size I need, which rivet gun to get, etc. They haven't really specified how much of what, or what brands are in the kit, just a photo and a price. It's probably just as economical as trying to buy the stuff separately...I don't know since I've never built an airplane.

Jwinner wrote:

Yeah, they just finalized it based on an e-mail I received.......just a photo and a price.......
    Great. Is there anyway for you, or others, to share what it is that you received from RANS?
    " It's Always Something" - Gilda Radner (1946-1989)

" I love Horsepower, but love love love Torque "

" Nothings says poor workmanship like uneven duct tape "

Basic Member

There is a revised photo with a parts list now. It never said not to share so I'll try to post it here, not real familiar with how to do it:

@ Jwinner:

Thanks for posting. Looks like a nice basic kit and folks can then supplement it with cordless drills, hammers, etc.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Denali View Post
    I have two of them. Powerful, efficient, high quality, and amazingly rapid recharge, so there really is no downtime under most normal tool usage. Perhaps different for painting or running an air tool continuously like a sander or a saw. Very powerful & efficient motor with minimal necessary wall current draw, ie lower amps drawn at 120 volts. Paid about $150 and $175 on Craigslist for used units, hoses included.
    How about the noise level? I live in a townhome, so I have neighbors close on either side. Thankfully one is a squadron mate of mine, so I can tell him to deal with it lol, but the other one is my concern. I like the idea that it's compact, so I can easily transport it for other uses, but I don't want to go deaf and annoy the crap out of my neighbors.

Sociald wrote :

How about the noise level? I live in a townhome, so I have neighbors close on either side.
    I have two of the MAC 5200 units but they are stacked in the back of my packed garage. I can't remember how loud they are because I have not used them in a long while and currently use a couple of really crummy cheap red tank compressors. I don't mind abusing cheap stuff which is why I am not using the Makitas at the moment.