Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 2017/18 Update: Toolkit Recommendations for Building the All Metal RANS S-21

Premium Member (Donated)

All,

I've followed this discussion on compressors that meet the need for a pneumatic rivet (or river) puller, but haven't seen any discussion about the needs for painting or paint sprayers. For the last couple days I've been drinking from the paint sprayer education fire hose. I know more than I ever wanted to know about legacy suction, HVLP, and LVLP, though this doesn't lend itself to any operational knowledge.

1) What is the preferred sprayer type for garage building?
    2) What are the compressor requirements for that type?

I've seen several automotive sites that recommend 10-14 CFM @ 90 PSI from the compressor. That's a bunch and really bumps you up to a new compressor league. I've seen 5-7 CFM @ 40 PSI as the requirement for LVLP spraying. So, it seems that the spray equipment requirement is the first consideration followed by the compressor to match. It's making my head hurt.

Without having done the research, I'm also wondering if one could save by renting the compressor or buying an extra tank for just the period that you are painting. Just thinking there.

If there is a thread on this and I haven't seen it, I would certainly take a bump in that direction to help myself without being a burden.

Brett

Premium Member (Donated)

I would recommend not skimping on the compressor. I have problems in my paint that probably would've been solved by a better compressor and/or drier air.

Consideration for spraying in the garage would be how close it is to the house. In my case in a townhouse, it was below the house, so I wasn't going to paint there.

Worst case scenario you could buy all the equipment and sell it after you're done. It requires the ability to buy it upfront, but you could recoup a good bit of the cost in the end and not have any headaches with work around solutions. Painting it already annoying enough (at least to me and probably because I don't understand everything about it).

I would also ask around and see if anyone has a booth or equipment to rent/borrow. EAA, airport, etc. You never know how it might turn out. I would say that the next time I paint something I will definitely want to do it at or very close to the house because of how time intensive it is.
    Ryan
    S-20 (Painting)
    Build Site

Premium Member (Donated) s19flyer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moppready View Post
    All,

I've followed this discussion on compressors that meet the need for a pneumatic rivet (or river) puller, but haven't seen any discussion about the needs for painting or paint sprayers. For the last couple days I've been drinking from the paint sprayer education fire hose. I know more than I ever wanted to know about legacy suction, HVLP, and LVLP, though this doesn't lend itself to any operational knowledge.

1) What is the preferred sprayer type for garage building?
    2) What are the compressor requirements for that type?

I've seen several automotive sites that recommend 10-14 CFM @ 90 PSI from the compressor. That's a bunch and really bumps you up to a new compressor league. I've seen 5-7 CFM @ 40 PSI as the requirement for LVLP spraying. So, it seems that the spray equipment requirement is the first consideration followed by the compressor to match. It's making my head hurt.

Without having done the research, I'm also wondering if one could save by renting the compressor or buying an extra tank for just the period that you are painting. Just thinking there.

If there is a thread on this and I haven't seen it, I would certainly take a bump in that direction to help myself without being a burden.

Brett
    This is what I ended up using after I ruined my Devilbiss. That's another story.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-16580-Accu..._&dpSrc=detail

It works really well and is much easier to clean up. Requires 13cfm@20psi I usually set the compressor regulator at 60psi and regulate to 20psi at the gun with the trigger pulled. There are lots of videos on this paint gun out there. Just make sure you order enough liners.

The Devilbiss Finish Line 4 that I started out with required 13cfm @ 23psi

So you really need a larger compressor for painting with HVLP guns. Use at least 3/8" fittings and air hose to be able to get the reuired pressure at the gun.

But painting and paint guns are like oil and oil filters. Many a war has been started over which is the best....LOL Find what works for you and good luck.
    Glenn
    Avid Flyer, S6ES, S19, S20
    Remember, I am not immune to mistakes!
    What works for me may not work for you.

Premium Member (Donated)

Glenn, that was the exact kind of feedback I was looking for. Thanks. What a great design that limits the cleaning. Let’s see, take away the crappiest part of actually painting for a couple bucks in expendable supplies. Um... sign me up. With that kind of info I can backwards plan a compressor. A compressor big enough to reliably provide that CFM and PSI combination will l8kely require 240V connection. Now I’ve got a list to tackle.

Brett
    S-20 build is imminent

Premium Member (Donated)

Hi Brett,

The gun that Glenn is talking about would be a good one to consider. Ryan's suggestion re not skimping on the compressor would make sense with this gun.

If you think you want the smallest compressor you can get away with to run only a rivet puller, and still want to spray, then maybe consider a separate turbine unit for an HVLP gun. I have a FUJI HVLP setup and it works very well. Extra bucks, but when painting it is nice to be able to use air from a source dedicated for this purpose.

Of course, if you go with too small of a compressor you really do limit what you can do with it: die grinder, angle grinder, rivet gun, and nothing sounds cooler in a shop than an air drill.

Al

Premium Member (Donated) s19flyer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moppready View Post
    Glenn, that was the exact kind of feedback I was looking for. Thanks. What a great design that limits the cleaning. Letís see, take away the crappiest part of actually painting for a couple bucks in expendable supplies. Um... sign me up. With that kind of info I can backwards plan a compressor. A compressor big enough to reliably provide that CFM and PSI combination will l8kely require 240V connection. Now Iíve got a list to tackle.

Brett
    This one looks promising. It's a lot like the Craftsman one that I had. It's DOA and a motor for it is $426 versus $489 for a complete new one. I'm just not sure I need that big of one anymore....well...unless.....

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-60...602H/205389936

I ended up using 1.8 tip for primer (2.0 might have worked better) and initially I used the 1.4 for color but ended up using a 1.3 because it has an extra air hole and atomized the paint better. A 1.2 tip worked really well on the clear. If you using single stage paint I'd go with the 1.3 for the color. This is using the 3M system. There are turbine systems (that can double for fresh air supply to you) but it's all in what you want to use....There are a lot of options out there.

Good luck!
    Glenn
    Avid Flyer, S6ES, S19, S20
    Remember, I am not immune to mistakes!
    What works for me may not work for you.

Basic Member

That's a good compressor 2 of my friends have the same one and are happy with them. One of them uses it in a home paint shop in one stall of his garage and it works just fine for painting cars.

Quote Originally Posted by s19flyer View Post
    This one looks promising. It's a lot like the Craftsman one that I had. It's DOA and a motor for it is $426 versus $489 for a complete new one. I'm just not sure I need that big of one anymore....well...unless.....

I ended up using 1.8 tip for primer (2.0 might have worked better) and initially I used the 1.4 for color but ended up using a 1.3 because it has an extra air hole and atomized the paint better. A 1.2 tip worked really well on the clear. If you using single stage paint I'd go with the 1.3 for the color. This is using the 3M system. There are turbine systems (that can double for fresh air supply to you) but it's all in what you want to use....There are a lot of options out there.

Good luck!

Here are two links with some great background on buying tools for aircraft building.

http://www.meyette.us/tools.htm

http://www.meyette.us/MikeCrowe.htm
    " It's Always Something" - Gilda Radner (1946-1989)

" I love Horsepower, but love love love Torque "

" Nothings says poor workmanship like uneven duct tape "

Premium Member (Donated)

Quote Originally Posted by s19flyer View Post

Good luck!
    Thanks Glenn. I even found one of those exact compressors yesterday on the Craigslist locally. Looks to be in good condition and I'm thinking about taking a look in person. Thanks for the feedback.

Brett
    S-20 build is imminent

Premium Member (Donated)

Ryan and Nova Scotia,

Thanks for the comments. The bit of education here on paint guns answered a lot of my questions on compressors.

Brett
    S-20 build is imminent