Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stratux RXWX Dual Band ADS-B Receiver with AHRS & GPS Source $150

Premium Member (Donated) mikeno's Avatar

Default Stratux RXWX Dual Band ADS-B Receiver with AHRS & GPS Source $150

I'm not selling these - just passing along what I think is a good deal for $150. Everywhere else these are selling for around $250. Here's the link: https://www.iflygps.com/STORE/Product/stratux
    Note that this is an Oshkosh special and they're not shipping until 7/24.

Mike

@ Mikeno :

I bought one. I am looking to build two mini "J-Pole" antennas ( 978 and 1090 ) for it in place of the small vertical rubber duckies to possibly help improve reception. This thing has a WAAS level GPS, AHRS capability, variable fan speed, pressure sensor altimeter built in, and ability to record flight data. All for .15 AMU Amazing.

There are also plans for a rubber suction cup mount for this. I am also currently looking at a battery for this unit. If anyone is buying one, I'd welcome any advice.

" It's Always Something" - Gilda Radner (1946-1989)

" I love Horsepower, but love love love Torque "

" Nothings says poor workmanship like uneven duct tape "

Premium Member (Donated) pouellette's Avatar

Don't know why you need different antennas, mine picks up the ADSB tower on the ground 20 miles away over several hills. This unit is based on the Raspberry Pi 3 and is the same unit many are building from scratch. They said Ifly gets them directly from Chris Young, developer of the STRATUX software.http://stratux.me/ This is the updated unit with the AHRS ans WAAS GPS chip inside and is priced cheaper then if you tried to build it yourself. Good Value.
    Pete

@ Pouelette:

Like yourself, I think this is a fabulous deal. What EFB are you using? Do you have the AHRS module?

I ordered my unit before OSH so it came in a few days ago. Perfect construction. The case is solid and the seams are so tight it would put the builders of the Egyptian pyramids to shame. I opened the case, and the chips all have perfectly sized heat sinks already installed on top. I did not check to see if they used tape or thermal compound. The SD card is the the slot, fully loaded, and the LED lights come on as needed to indicate power and signal acquisition.

When the fan comes on it is very very very quiet. Three small tools are also provided, namely two wrenches and a Philips screwdriver. That was a nice touch to allow one to open the case and also to tighten the antenna terminals if needed. The antennas, labeled 978 and 1090 are the longer, higher gain variety, and not the shorter stubs which I think claim only 3dB gain. I also went to Amazon and bought :

Anker 10,000 ma battery pack
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SMA male to N Female Plug

Coaxial Cables SMA male to SMA female

I plan to make at least for the 1090 frequency a ground plane antenna to get more gain.

I am also considering maybe?? adding a small LNA amplifier and a band pass filter

Amplifier
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014OO5RLO...d=RYA7AAFJEIXM

Filter
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=AMNQ22EDV9BX1

Are you using this in a plane? Or on the ground. Again, why the external antenna, bpf, and amp?
    Pete

Are you using this in a plane? Or on the ground. Again, why the external antenna, bpf, and amp?
    Pete
    Great questions. Right now I am just enjoying the tinkering. Plan to use it in both ways. I have been closely following all the discussions on reddit on the antenna options. Seems some J-pole as well as ground plane antennas are worth looking into. I also bought the stratux for its flexibility re antenna adjustment for polarization, and the ability to swap antennas. I really am curious how such a tiny gadget like the Ping Buddy II with its internal antenna ( or antennas?) will perform in terms of signal acquisition. As a ham operator I greatly appreciate the importance of having a good antenna, even if only for receiving.

Reddit also talks about the notion of having a clean signal, and therefore I want to mess around with the flightaware band pass filter. Antenna to filter to amp. The amp and filter together only run about 30 dollars, so the tinkering fun is not that expensive.

What EFB software are you using? How important have you found the antenna orientation to be re correct polarization and 1090 ASDB data?

For anyone that wants the unit now, the price has risen back up to $ 199

https://www.iflygps.com/STORE/Product/stratux

Even for that I think it is a deal. Support from Brian and Walter has been simply outstanding. They quickly answer all questions, including phone calls and emails.

I think I'll call them tomorrow and ask how does it blend.

Link:

Quote Originally Posted by Denali View Post
    @ Mikeno :

I bought one. I am looking to build two mini "J-Pole" antennas ( 978 and 1090 ) for it in place of the small vertical rubber duckies to possibly help improve reception. This thing has a WAAS level GPS, AHRS capability, variable fan speed, pressure sensor altimeter built in, and ability to record flight data. All for .15 AMU Amazing.

There are also plans for a rubber suction cup mount for this. I am also currently looking at a battery for this unit. If anyone is buying one, I'd welcome any advice.

Mine was received while at Oshkosh and I just unpacked it. What are the connector port's function in the above photo?Instruction are minimal and website "rxwx.io" does not explain much. I assume power input is the micro USB on the far left but until I know for sure I'm not plugging anything into it.

Yes, power the micro USB with 5 Volts..best way is with a micro usb to usb cable plugged into a 5 volt usb dongle into the cigarette lighter socket..

Got it powered up per your suggestion. Just out of curiousity what are the other two ports for?
    Mike