Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stratux RXWX Dual Band ADS-B Receiver with AHRS & GPS Source $150

Premium Member (Donated) pouellette's Avatar

This unit is built around the raspberry pi 3 single boaed computer. The other ports is a HDMi cinnector and an audio out jack. With the right SD card installed, you can have a full featured computer, just plug in keyboard and mouse. More info here:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...01807632744336
    https://www.adafruit.com/product/3055

So,

I have my STRATUX unit sitting here . I ordered an external GPS unit, the VK-162 for better satellite acquisition. I have yet to cobble together the coax cable and to make a small ground plane antenna.

• Has anyone here used their unit yet?
    • Any PIREPS on the STRATUX?
    • How/where are you mounting it?
    • Auxiliary battery being used?
    • Glare shield or window suction cup mount?
    • What EFB software are you using?
    • How is reception in the air and on the ground relative to where your tower and or signal source is located ?
    • Would you recommend the unit to a friend?
    " It's Always Something" - Gilda Radner (1946-1989)

" I love Horsepower, but love love love Torque "

" Nothings says poor workmanship like uneven duct tape "

Premium Member (Donated) mikeno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Denali View Post
    So,

I have my STRATUX unit sitting here . I ordered an external GPS unit, the VK-162 for better satellite acquisition. I have yet to cobble together the coax cable and to make a small ground plane antenna.

• Has anyone here used their unit yet?
    • Any PIREPS on the STRATUX?
    • How/where are you mounting it?
    • Auxiliary battery being used?
    • Glare shield or window suction cup mount?
    • What EFB software are you using?
    • How is reception in the air and on the ground relative to where your tower and or signal source is located ?
    • Would you recommend the unit to a friend?
    I'll attempt to answer your questions based on my experience but to date that is limited. First of all I have some questions for you. Why the VK-162 and how will you connect to the Stratux? There is no USB-A port on my Stratux. (I have a feeling that I'll be having a "DOH!" moment when you answer this.
    - I've used my unit only on the ground at KLXT. Reception was poor but I was able to see some traffic which indicates there is a tower in the neighborhood (is there a map or list showing tower locations?).
    - I did not see any PIREPS
    - I plan on mounting the unit on the bulkhead behind the seats next to the bump out for the flap control cables. I'm fabricating a cradle from .035" aluminum that will attach to the bulkhead with 3M "Double Lock" velcro. Directly below the ADS I'm installing a USB power outlet (https://powerwerx.com/panel-mount-du...er-high-output) in a pod (https://powerwerx.com/one-hole-panel-mounting-pod) fed from my Avionics DC buss. In the future I may add a backup battery.
    - I don't like anything mounted on the glare shield and suction cups suck only for awhile (pun intended) then let go at the worst possible time. I think they were invented by Murphy.
    - I have an iFly 720 to use with the ADS-B and Foreflight on my iPad for backup on xcountry flights.
    - I don't have enough experience to recommend to a friend but for the price I don't think you can go wrong.

Blue Skies and tailwinds!
    Mike

@ Mikeno :

First of all, thank you again for posting the availability of this unit for the amazing Oshkosh only special reduced price of 150 dollars. My thin wallet thanks you.

The external VK-162 GPS is also a WAAS capable unit. The advantage is that the VK-162 unit ( and its antenna ) are external, and therefore can be oriented separately and independently from the main STRATUX box and its two reception antennae. Compared to the tiny internal VK-172 GPS, I believe the actual GPS antenna of the external VK-162 unit is larger and more effective as well.

Now, you are correct that there is no external USB socket to plug this in. You need to pop off the cover, unplug the existing tiny internal 172 GPS, and plug in the cable/USB plug of the external VK-162 unit. There is a small notch on the edge of the larger of the two case halves. The cable can easily snake through this notch.

I bought the VK-162 external unit because of reports on sites such as reddit that it is more effective. I wrote to Young, the fellow behind the STRATUX, and he confirmed this. I had asked him which model of the external VK-162 to buy. Be aware that there seem to be several “manufacturers” of these external GPS units. Since it is only about $17 dollars on AMAZON, make sure to buy the official STRATUX branded /labeled external VK-162. It is easy to mistakenly select a copycat look a like VK-162.

Here is the "real" STRATUX VK-162 External GPS unit I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the ANKER battery I bought.

Here is a handy little 10 dollar USB current charging monitor I bought. Highly recommended. Great for monitoring how your battery, cell phone, iPad, etc. is charging, as well as the power draw from a rechargeable battery to a device such as the STRATUX.

By PIREP on the STRATUX, I did not mean actually listening to PIREPS. Rather, I was seeking pilot feedback on the unit itself. Your response in reviewing the STRATUX ADS-B unit is in effect the “PIREP”.

Also, regarding making a holder for it, I would have a concern about the aluminum bracket possibly affecting the performance of the internal GPS unit. The aluminum might reduce the ability of the internal VK-172 GPS antenna to acquire satellites. An external VK-162 GPS would help side step this concern. Perhaps a non-metallic material would be better.

I have seen some 3D printed cases already appearing for this unit. I plan to piggy back my STRATUX unit to an external 10,000 mAh Anker battery. In fact, another question I had for Young focused on how attaching a flat battery pack to either the top or bottom of the STRATUX would affect performance, particularly the GPS reception. I was advised is to place the flat battery pack on the “ bottom” surface opposite the " top " one with the fan opening and embossed logo.

I am going to be using “something” to attach my STRATUX “somewhere”. I am still thinking about it. I do have some remarkably good suction cups, but VELCRO type hook and loop is often more secure. The ANKER battery pack is black so I also worry about heat; I may cobble together some sort of a shiny reflective insulating heat shield. Again, still not sure what’s up with that.

Regarding the EFB, boy.... .. I am still thinking about it. I had a friend allow me to mess with his Foreflight. Nice package but not fully endorsed by the Thin Wallet Pilots Association. I am still in limbo regarding the EFB.

Incidentally, I am now seeing some mixed reports about the effectiveness of the Foreflight endorsed "SCOUT" ADS-B unit that was so heavily hyped. The very small size seems to compromise the effectiveness of the internal antennae. I am so glad I bought this STRATUX unit instead. So tiny can be good and bad. For me the STRATUX, which is about the size of a pack of cigarettes, is small enough. The Scout's alleged performance deficit vs size convenience is a non starter for me. I am not bashing the Scout, but simply saying that there is no free lunch, and you do pay in performance for the convenience of a smaller size.

Anyway…I’ll write more about this later. Again, thanks for your helpful "PIREP" on the STRATUX Mikeno. Do keep posting on your progress, use, and implementation of the STRATUX. I was gone for the eclipse, and my grass went berserk. I have to go log some VFR time on my zero turn mower.

Is anyone using a STRATUX with Seattle Avionics FLYQ-EFB ?

If so, how well does it all work together ?

What version of FLYQ-EFB ?