Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S-20 Raven Muffler Crack

Premium Member (Donated) GravityKnight's Avatar

Oh.... of course the firesleeve on the fuel lines is a must. But when I was having vapor lock issues I also added some of this to my fuel lines and other jazz that I didn't want blasted with heat. Not bad stuff, you can cut it the way you want and wrap it. It sticks to itself pretty well, can use a little safety wire to make sure it stays. Works good as a reflector of heat. Not sure it would stand up to a broken exhaust pipe spewing heat and fire towards it, but it might help.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    S6S 116 w/VGs|MGL/FDS
    114hp zipper912|homebuilt headers/ram-air
    75"WW STOL|22x8.50main/21x8.00nose

Basic Member

Thanks Gravity,

I might wrap some fire sleeve around the fuel line coming through the firewall just aft of the muffler for cheap insurance.

Good idea!

Jim

A long time ago I bent a lot of pipe on big jobs, then Union Pipefitter. Depending on schedule (std., 40, 80, Dia., etc.) 90deg. bend had to be 98 for retroflex, getting angles right. Biggest is to get smooth bend. If you fill it w/ sand, heliarc a temp. cap on, the bend always is Mo' Betta' due to the inside pressure on the wall. In concurring w/ all applicable comments chimed in, right on, + potential for fluke, even given this gusset + other interal factors, happened on the outside stretched curve bend. Therefore, the internal gusset heliarced + heat while running a root pass, then more - may have caused the outside to, referred to as "draw". Smoke was ____ sure coming out of both ends of that pipe during that gusset weld, lotsa heat. I think the later has higher potentiality % than former, for cause + effect ..and no, never seen a bad "batch' of pipe."

Premium Member (Donated)

Hey All,

I like Mav's thoughts. Not to be thin skinned<------ but if the thinkness in the pipe ain't right the crack will always come in sight, unless you saddle it and double up on the muffler where the gussets placed. Swinging weight can create and will create a problem like we see.. Jim I think others are going to have the problem too.

Dale

Basic Member

Good points from Maverick and Dale. I think at this point I am going to hope the muffler holds and no other cracks appear. I have made it part of my preflight. $477 is a lot of bones for a new one.

I am wondering if a new crack starts, Do they usually form slowly or slow enough to catch it?

Premium Member (Donated) s19flyer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by romaja View Post
    Good points from Maverick and Dale. I think at this point I am going to hope the muffler holds and no other cracks appear. I have made it part of my preflight. $477 is a lot of bones for a new one.

I am wondering if a new crack starts, Do they usually form slowly or slow enough to catch it?
    It should start and propagate slowly IMO

If it does crack again I would find a good welder and cut the pipe off the end and make a new one. No need to buy another one that might have the same issue....

Glenn
    Avid Flyer, S6ES, S19, S20 In Progress
    http://www.mykitlog.com/s19flyer
    Remember, I am not immune to mistakes!
    What works for me may not work for you.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by s19flyer View Post
    It should start and propagate slowly IMO

If it does crack again I would find a good welder and cut the pipe off the end and make a new one. No need to buy another one that might have the same issue....

Great Idea. Plenty of talented welders in the Portland area that could easily do this. As mentioned, their are no guarantees that a new one would do the same thing.

Premium Member (Donated) GravityKnight's Avatar
    S6S 116 w/VGs|MGL/FDS
    114hp zipper912|homebuilt headers/ram-air
    75"WW STOL|22x8.50main/21x8.00nose

Premium Member (Donated)

Quote Originally Posted by GravityKnight View Post
    You beat me to it!
    Looks like Randy and the crew are standing behind it!
    Awesome news.

Another example of clan members looking out for one another.