Thread: Battery recommendations

Premium Member (Donated) mikeno's Avatar

Default Battery recommendations

I'm doing a little research on batteries for an S-6S with a 912ULS and I'm interested in what you all have had good or bad experiences with. The S-6S I just bought has the Powersonic model PS 12180NB 18AH and it's beyond "normal" lifespan. I've used these batteries in my S-6ES and never had a problem but as fast as battery technology is changing I'm sure it could be improved on. One caveat though - whatever I buy must be of the same form factor. I don't want to build or buy a new battery box. What say you all?
    thanks - Mike

Premium Member (Donated) GravityKnight's Avatar

Odyssey PC680

Or one could spend a few bucks, and cut down on weight even further. The pc680 weighs about 15 lbs.
    Lithium iron batteries are safe (not like lithium ion), super light and powerful, the second one on this list (8 amp hours works for the rotax) http://www.aerolithium.com/sizes-pricing/
    It's small in size and weighs 3.5 lbs!
    S6S 116 w/VGs|MGL/FDS
    114hp zipper912|homebuilt headers/ram-air
    75"WW STOL|22x8.50main/21x8.00nose

Premium Member (Donated) pouellette's Avatar

My powersonic is going strong, it came with the kit in 2009, ant it was probably a year old before that...I just bought an Odyssey PC680b to replace it, but haven't installed it yet. I bought it here: http://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc680-battery.html. I had a 10% off coupon ( they run that special often.) so under 100 bucks.
    Pete

As well, another who started out w/ Panasonic, also went to Odyssey PC 680. More CCA's, not susceptible to temp. changes much @ all, etc., using in 2 current EAB's. I blt. my own box in the S6S, then later found A.C. S&S sells one for the 680, P/N 11-01853, $39 + UPS, a few back, using it in the 2nd. BTW, if not known Mike, if inclined, call the owner + ask him if they installed the H.O. starter. I installed one + big diff., start on 3rd blade Summer, 4th Winter. As others chime in, the 80 doesn't need it, but the 100 ponies w/ the 10.5 comp. diff. story. It is a pain behind the exhaust for R+R, but well worth it...+ yes, I am running an external, bench tested 40 amp. alternator.

Premium Member (Donated) mikeno's Avatar

While hanging around the EAA hangar today I mentioned I was looking for a battery and I was offered a one year old Odyssey PC680 for $50 (I believe they sell for about $130). It fits perfectly in my existing battery box and the deal was done. Thanks to you all for your input!
    Mike

Premium Member (Donated) scsirob's Avatar

Odyssey PC680 is perfect for the job if weight isn't an issue. I used a PC680 for many years for my Jabiru 3300 engine and it worked like a charm.
    Since then I swapped it for a LiFePO4 battery (AeroAkku LFP450D) and it works even better. Identical size, higher cranking speed, and 12lbs weight saved, including requiring a much lighter battery box. That's 45 minutes extra endurance at MTOW.
    The AeroAkku is now over 3 years old, shows no sign of aging. Strong as the first crank.