Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Some Thoughts On The S21

  1. #31
    Basic Member Denali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    810' MSL +/-
    Posts
    545

    Default

    WWHunter wrote:

    The issue with amphib floats is their cost, and your insurance is considerably more.
    +1

    Interesting. I never thought of the insurance aspect.

    The increased cost and weight penalty of slightly higher capacity floats, whether amphib or not, I can understand. What I have no knowledge of is the handling and performance peculiarities of under or over capacity specificationed floats, whether on water or in amphibious configuration for land use. I've done some google searches with only limited results. I am not building anything at the moment, and was just curious.

    " It's Always Something" - Gilda Radner (1946-1989)

    " I love Horsepower, but love love love Torque "

    " Nothings says poor workmanship like uneven duct tape "

  2. #32
    Premium Member (Donated)
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Thanks for the float info folks!

    So if a fella was interested in a Montana kit, then the 2200 size would make sense for the 1800lb S21?

    WW Hunter if you manage to get your lady bugs under control in your hangar, I have work for you here in the vineyard... those things taste bad in wine!

    Al

  3. #33
    Premium Member (Donated) WWhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In the woods
    Posts
    633

    Default

    Nova, So, you have those nasty buggers there also? They stink, will bite, and smell terrible! I probably swept/vacuumed up a 5 gallon bucket full of them yesterday. Oh, if one lands on your lips, they taste something awful!!!

  4. #34
    Basic Member maverick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Wyoming S-6S
    Posts
    1,061

    Default

    Al, if you ever contact Keith Kinden, ask him if he has the DVD of the PBS Canadian "Wings over Canada." You'd be able to see footage of float planes going into the bay in B.C., + Kinden interview. If not, I can run the end of my DVD to see if a contact listed - to see if still even available. Per your request, Kinden might also put you in contact w/ Canadians who blt. his Montana 2200 kit. Easy to spot his aluminums anywhere, 2 Canadian geese on the side.

  5. #35
    Premium Member (Donated)
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    Nova, So, you have those nasty buggers there also? They stink, will bite, and smell terrible! I probably swept/vacuumed up a 5 gallon bucket full of them yesterday. Oh, if one lands on your lips, they taste something awful!!!
    Yep, we gottem. Everyone thinks they are cute until they bite. BTW you can tell them apart from the regular lady bugs by the "M" shape behind their head.

    Al

  6. #36
    Premium Member (Donated)
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Al, if you ever contact Keith Kinden, ask him if he has the DVD of the PBS Canadian "Wings over Canada." You'd be able to see footage of float planes going into the bay in B.C., + Kinden interview. If not, I can run the end of my DVD to see if a contact listed - to see if still even available. Per your request, Kinden might also put you in contact w/ Canadians who blt. his Montana 2200 kit. Easy to spot his aluminums anywhere, 2 Canadian geese on the side.
    Thanks Maverick,

    I remember that series well. Used to be one of my favorite shows. Turns out you can still buy DVDs of the series, so now I know what the kids can get me for Christmas If you get a chance could you let me know which series or episode has the interview that you refer to?

    Ever hear of anyone building floats from plans?

    Al

  7. #37
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Yes, at least three companies have float kits. As I recall, Zenith aircraft, Montana floats, and one other I cannot remember.
    Jim

  8. #38
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Shakopee MN
    Posts
    48

    Default

    I just looked up the Zenith float kit and holly molly. It's lucky I was sitting down when I saw the 10,000 sticker price for the basic kit and 22,000 for ready to go. Time to forget about any float options in my future!

  9. #39
    Premium Member (Donated) WWhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In the woods
    Posts
    633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    I just looked up the Zenith float kit and holly molly. It's lucky I was sitting down when I saw the 10,000 sticker price for the basic kit and 22,000 for ready to go. Time to forget about any float options in my future!
    LOL...well then I highly suggest that you never....ever look at a set of certified amphibious floats. Sitting down won't do you any good...best to be laying down.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •