Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 912ul carb leak.

Premium Member (Donated)

Great news Bill, but it seems like after all the problems Glenn ,s19flyer, has had we have still not come to a conclusion what is going on with these floats. I think the fuel is the problem for the floats. Problem is did they make the floats work with the fuel that we use.

Dale

Premium Member (Donated) s19flyer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wshunter View Post
    Ok. Tim wins the leaky carb diagnosis award.
    I heard from the guy today and he said the floats weighed much more than they should because of fuel (probably not water) that seeped through the plastic coating that covers the spongy material forming the core of the floats. Consequently, the floats were not buoyant enough to firmly seat the needle valve. Rather than just replace the floats, I am having him do a complete overhaul - replacing all replaceable parts, etc.
    Because the labor is about the same, and the floats are a major part of the expense for parts, there is a relatively minor extra cost for taking that route. Since I lost access to the gauges I used to borrow for synchronizing the carbs, I have ordered the digital gadget to do that. The rep. Suggested a way to set things up for easier connections to do the sync. So, I might try that.
    I'll update if other problems are found, or when I get the plane running again - hopefully, next week.
    Great news!

I bet your rough running goes away too! That's what mine did when one of the floats sank.

They are composite (from what I can tell) and are supposed to be impervious to the fuel. When they fail, the absorb the fuel and become heavy.
    Glenn
    Avid Flyer, S6ES, S19, S20 In Progress
    http://www.mykitlog.com/s19flyer
    Remember, I am not immune to mistakes!
    What works for me may not work for you.

Premium Member (Donated) WWhunter's Avatar

Would you please let the rest of us know the 'suggested way to set up the connections' for the carb sync tool? I know how I do it but maybe there is a better way.

Premium Member (Donated) s19flyer's Avatar

Who me?

I just pull one hose off the nipple on the end of the balance tube and tie the electronic balancer into there.
    Glenn
    Avid Flyer, S6ES, S19, S20 In Progress
    http://www.mykitlog.com/s19flyer
    Remember, I am not immune to mistakes!
    What works for me may not work for you.

Premium Member (Donated) WWhunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by s19flyer View Post
    Who me?

I just pull one hose off the nipple on the end of the balance tube and tie the electronic balancer into there.
    Sorry Glen, that response was to wshunter. I do the same as you describe but do have to put a makeshift adapter in the line for the carbmate hoses to fit.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    Would you please let the rest of us know the 'suggested way to set up the connections' for the carb sync tool? I know how I do it but maybe there is a better way.
    Ha! You caught me. I weaseled on that because I wasn't entirely clear on it. He said there are plugs in the intake manifold that some folks take out and replace with nipples that the hose from the synch gadget can be slipped onto. When they are done, they have caps that slip over the nipples. I haven't been back to look at my plane to figure out exactly where nipples should go. BUT, it seems that would be much better than the fight I have had to break the hose loose from the crossover tube and then get it back in place after syncing. Unless I can find a nipple with a really secure screw-on cap (not rubber slip-on or whatever), I think I will put the plugs back afterward.
    I bet someone here already has the setup and can fill us in. If not, I'll do so when I get it done.

Have graph, adapters, but had old local I've known- from independent snowmobile shop do mine.