Thread: S6 bad yaw problem

Basic Member

Default S6 bad yaw problem

Flew our S6 that we bought for the first time last night. With the flaps in the first notch on takeoff the plane wanted to yaw really bad to the left. It took a lot of right rudder, I mean a lot of right rudder. Plane tracked straight down the runway during the takeoff roll it wasn't till it broke ground that a real heavy right rudder was required. Took the flaps off and did a touch and go and seems to be somewhat better. Any suggestion?

Premium Member (Donated) pouellette's Avatar

Did you get the build manuals with the purchase? I would first check the rigging/ washout of the wings and the rigging of the ailerons and flaps before I flew it again. Also the tension on the tail flying wires, if not set correctly, can skew the vertical stabilizer causing a yaw motion. I fly S7 but the rigging should be similar.
    Pete

I think it is typical of the Coyote on climb out. Lotsa right rudder required to keep the ball centered. This is what I see on both Coyotes I've flown. How'd she do in level flight with/without flaps?
    Dave Rigotti
    N291DR 2014
    S-6S builder

Premium Member (Donated) GravityKnight's Avatar

Are the flaps coming down the same amount? Does it have a trim tab riveted on the rudder (or some other type of trim?) Does it have little bungies on the rudder pedals (going through the firewall) or some other kind of springs on the pedals? Are they all there? Is it a tricycle or tailwheel s6 btw? Just a couple things off the top of my head. That much rudder- you would think the problem would be pretty obvious (I don't mean that rudely, I mean if you don't see an issue that's kind of bizarre actually!)
    S6S 116 w/VGs|MGL/FDS/AoA
    114hp zipper912|homebuilt headers/muffler/ram-air
    75"WW STOL|22x8.50mains/21x8.00nose/custom fork
    YouTube Channel

Premium Member (Donated)

Quote Originally Posted by Drigotti View Post
    I think it is typical of the Coyote on climb out. Lotsa right rudder required to keep the ball centered. This is what I see on both Coyotes I've flown. How'd she do in level flight with/without flaps?
    Thinking outloud here I think Dave is correct. This is what I remember from my experience with the S-6 TW Coyote of 2002' vintage.

Dale

Premium Member (Donated)

Thinking Outloud again, the plane had a Rotax ULS 100 hp engine with a Whirlwind 3 blade square tip prop. The rudder had a trim tab too. The P-factor always made for a smoosh on the right peddle on take off and climb. Straight and level it needed a bit of correction too. If I still had the plane the rudder trim tab would need adjustment in my thoughts. One more thought the more power you have the more pronounced the problem will or can be..

Dale

Only in briefly augmenting other's correct analysis. Doug, your wing not mentioned, nor yet, yr. of S6? Everyone knows the standard wing, 155 sq.' more adverse than 116 or Sport, hence Q. re. your wing? Yr. of S6 also, per later, Rans increased the depth of the vert. stab. to address this. 3) Per Gravity + Dale, yes, I installed a big trim tab. Perhaps could post photos later. Worked 75%, but then had to move it down app. 6" + then rivet for the remaining 25% better. Electric ray Allen rocker on floor slightly in front of pilots seat, easy thumb 1-2-3 sec. results Also of assistance via crab angle, cross wind, etc. to maintain heading.

Another item to check is the trim on the rudder (if installed). It's an aluminium flap mounted on either the right or left side of the rudder. On my S6 is was originally on the right side of the rudder, and deflected to the right. That would counter-act the P-factor from a Rotax 582 which rotates CW when standing in front of the nose looking back.
    With the Rotax 912 that flap has to be moved to the other side and deflected to the left, because the 912 rotates the other way around.

Dalords-do you have the quick wheel disconnect? I.E., assume perhaps known, nose strut drops down after T.O., keeps straight, especially better if nose pant. The bolts in the shimmy dampener + quick wheel nose disconnect can "waller out" + need R+R @ 300 hrs. dep. on history of prvious owner, landings. As noted 6/11, re. my 15-16" elect. rudder trim tab... the bottom is now 3 1/2 -4" below the neutral elevator. 912ULS, 3 bl. 68" Warp tapered tip, N.L.E.'s. Dep. on where you live, it would be a great to get 3 T+G's in another S6S as a comp. Anyone close?