Thread: S-7 & S-20 Tie Downs

Default S-7 & S-20 Tie Downs

I liked the look of the stainless steel tie down from Aircraft Specialty. Needed a strong place for mounting to the wing.

Tie Down Fab.png

Raw Stock needed; 1" x 1/4" x 12" 6061 bar stock; 3/4" x 3/4" x 12" 6061 SQ bar stock; (4) MS24694S61 Structural Machine Screw (4) 10-32 Elastic Lock nuts
    (4) 960-10 washers. (4) AN3-17A bolt undrilled; replaces bolts that holds compression and drag tubes.

Measure length of wing channel (U shaped bracket), behind the front spar at wing strut attachment point. Cut 2 - 1" x 1/4" stock to that length. Clamp to bracket with a 1/4" face flush with the bracket edge where the AN3 bolt holes are located, and transfer drill holes to bar stock. Place the AN3 bolt through the drilled bar stock, place a washer, nut and socket that fits the nut, and mark a line to the inside of each bolt. This is the maximum length of your 3/4" SQ bar stock. Slightly smaller was my choice. Cut 2 pieces of the SQ bar stock to length. Locate the center of one of the faces of the bar stock. This will be the location of the hole for the tie down bolt. This hole must be tapped to accept the tie down bolt. Take the 960-10 washer at the ends of the SQ bar stock with the washer abutting the end and centered side to side. Mark the hole in the washer for the drilled bolt holes, and a line that is the width of the washer from the end of the SQ bar stock. Drill all the holes in the SQ bar stock. Mark the center line on one of the faces that is parallel with the drilled holes. Mark a center line on the 1/4" face that is closest to the transfer drilled AN3 holes. Align the center lines of each bar stock with the faces flush. Clamp together and transfer drill the holes to the 1" x 1/4" pre cut bar stock. On the line marked for washer width measure down 1/4" and cut that depth. Cut a line from the end perpendicular to the first cut removing a small recessed area for the washer and 10-32 lock nut. Counter sink the holes for the 10-32 machine screw heads. Screw the bar stocks together and tap the tie down hole. Replace the AN3 bolts using supplied washers and lock nuts. Bolt the tie down block to the U shaped bracket. When covering, a washer for the tie down bolt was glued and patched over the block location. A stainless nut was also obtained from the big box home store.

Tie Down Installed.png

Doug May all your days be CAVU

Forgot to mention: Raw stock came from Aircraft Spruce, also Micro-Stop Counter Sink 12-01412; Stop Counter Sink Cutter (100 degree) for #10 screws, #12 12-00944; you will also use the counter sink for the screws on the gas cap fittings, at lease on my kit purchased Sept. 2015.

Doug

Premium Member (Donated) pouellette's Avatar

Interesting. I used the ones provide by RANS. Simple installation. I'll try to get a pic..

Greetings! Thanks for the thread! It was really interesting! I really like the way how you presented these facts here!

Premium Member (Donated)

Quote Originally Posted by pouellette View Post
    Interesting. I used the ones provide by RANS. Simple installation. I'll try to get a pic..
    The Rans ones are light weight and have a nice rolled edge. They are really a pretty simple solution.

Premium Member (Donated) pouellette's Avatar

Premium Member (Donated) scsirob's Avatar

Even simpler; Replace one of the two strut bolts with an AN43 eye bolt. Identical sheer strength. Point them perpendicular with flight direction for minimum drag. Drill hole to fit a carabiner clip, use the clip through it when tying down.

Premium Member (Donated) s19flyer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JellyBean View Post
    The Rans ones are light weight and have a nice rolled edge. They are really a pretty simple solution.

Yep and all you have to do is remove the called for washers to make up for the thickness of the tie down loops.
    Glenn
    Avid Flyer, S6ES, S19, S20
    Remember, I am not immune to mistakes!
    What works for me may not work for you.

I do not believe that there is any thing wrong with Rans tie downs! Just an alternative. As previously stated I liked them and thought I'd share a different solution.
    Doug May all your days be CAVU

Premium Member (Donated) s19flyer's Avatar

Nice job, they look great!
    Glenn
    Avid Flyer, S6ES, S19, S20
    Remember, I am not immune to mistakes!
    What works for me may not work for you.