Thread: Sakota as Sport Plane

Basic Member

Default Sakota as Sport Plane

It seems like the S10 gets overlooked as a sport plane to go for $100 hamburgers and flying for the sheer joy of it. I want to build something with the Rotax 912 and it just kind of struck me that I should look at the 10. Then I was surprised to see that they're only available on special order, now that the LSA regs arent as important because of the medical changes you would think this would be a very popular kit, am I missing something? I live on the fly and community and would fly mostly by myself, and hopefully an occasional female passenger. Thanks for any feedback I'm curious as to how much you guys love your planes.
    Rick Smith at LA87 Built Sidewinder N299RS, RV-6 N1150S

Basic Member

Well I will just assume that no one likes the airplanes and I have to considered a decent sport plane I'll pass on it not much enthusiasm with this group
    Rick Smith at LA87 Built Sidewinder N299RS, RV-6 N1150S

Administrator Site Admin RANSCLAN.com's Avatar

Rick,

I've been meaning to reply to this thread for a week but just didn't have time with work. I'm picking up extra trips to pay for my panel!! You have to remember that there are relatively few S-10's out there so there's not much activity here fro S-9's and S-10's. I had an S-10 I built in 2003.

The S-10 is a really fun airplane to fly, but you have to fly it all the time. It's very unstable which I liked for zipping around playing fighter pilot, but I remember many times trying to fly it on a cross country and as soon as I let go of the stick to fold a chart I was climbing at 400 fpm or turning or diving, or upside down....

When I flew solo, I'd sit in the middle and use the two outside rudder pedals. With a passenger, then I'd sit on the left. It has dual throttles so you can sit anywhere you want. It's fairly tight inside with two people. When me and my dad flew around, I would sit in the left seat and put my right arm over the seat back sort of in the baggage compartment to free up some elbow room. I had the 100 hp engine with a 3 blade Powerfin prop and could climb out at neary 2,000 fpm. If I remember correctly it would cruise at 110-115 mph.

I suppose if you are looking for something just to throw around the sky by yourself, and occasionally take a passenger, it's a great simple airplane. If you're planning on some cross countries, I'd maybe consider a different airplane. For a taildragger, mine tracked perfectly on the ground. It wasn't squirrely at all. Then I sold it and the guy bent the landing gear and put on new gear. So unless he did it perfectly like I did, I have no idea how my old bird tracks now.
    Mark Pensenstadler
    Site Admin
    S-10 | S-6S | RV-7 | Cherokee 160 | Zenith Cruzer