Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rans S-21 Outbound Panel Configurations - Suggestions for 2017/2018

Premium Member (Donated)

Yeah nah..... I know it's just for test purposes, and this is a bush plane with cruising cability, but I want something with good avionics, steam just doesn't do it for me....

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jase View Post
    Yeah nah..... I know it's just for test purposes, and this is a bush plane with cruising cability, but I want something with good avionics, steam just doesn't do it for me....
    That's the beauty of homebuilt; you can make it however you want it.

Premium Member (Donated)

Quote Originally Posted by Supe View Post
    To my knowledge AVEO discontinued those switches. I liked the look but was unable to find any in stock.

Supe, May all your days be CAVU
    I've found a couple options for lit rocker switches (Carling Contura) with a selection of Contura V rocker switches. http://www.otrattw.net and https://rockerswitchpros.com/ have good selections for the rocker switches. I'm planning to use the same lower independent Blue LED light, SPST switches for all except a red, momentary SPST switch for a wing leveler centered high on the panel. right now I plan to use the Contura V rocker switches, as several places will custom laser emboss the switch with an images and/or text. $15.50 for each switch is pretty steep, but for 9 switches that I will continually look at while puttering around, it might be worth it.

That is, I don't have my kit yet and continue to research things like this as an experimental airplane fidget spinner of sorts. I've even gone through the process of building them into a full wire diagram with and without a VP-X. Typing that made me feel a bit embarrassed.

Brett
    S-20 Ordered, but I haven't built diddly-squat before

Premium Member (Donated)

Just saw this posted. From the RANS Facebook Site, posted a few hours ago, dated December 5th, 2017, showing the RANS S-21 panel on the prototype
    I'm a little surprised at Rans' continued preference for steam gauges on their demonstrator aircraft. I might be biased, but it seems that just about everyone builds a new kit with a glass panel. The reasons are many but not important in the context of this observation. It just seems that the vast majority of new experimentals use glass. Is anyone else puzzled by this?

Premium Member (Donated) WWhunter's Avatar

Randy probably has a stockpile of steam guages and needs to use/sell them to recoupe his investment. LOL!! That's just my guess...no factual information.

I know I have a bunch of steam guages laying around and would probably use them for the same reason.

Basic Member

Simple. Glass panels have no effect on performance and take more time to install. For the purpose of getting a demonstrator in the air as quickly as possible, reusing the S-20 budget panel makes sense.

Voltar wrote:

For the purpose of getting a demonstrator in the air as quickly as possible, reusing the S-20 budget panel makes sense.
    +1. I think with Sun-N-Fun just around the corner, they are going to really really get cracking to finish up their S-21. Hopefully they will have 40 hours logged, and be able to fly it there. If not, then at least be able to show a more or less "completed" Outbound S-21. The PR opportunities of a finished plane are immeasurable.

" It's Always Something" - Gilda Radner (1946-1989)

" I love Horsepower, but love love love Torque "

" Nothings says poor workmanship like uneven duct tape "

Premium Member (Donated)

If buying on a thin dime, simple works best most of the time.