Thread: Trying to find touch up paint.......

Premium Member (Donated) GravityKnight's Avatar

Default Trying to find touch up paint.......

Trying to find what color my plane is. It had factory built wings etc. so I called RANS and they would be too much work for them to look up what paint was used even though I had a serial number from the plane

I haven't looked through the build books with paint in mind, maybe there is something in there..

Anyone have an advice or am I really in for this much effort/money just to fix a few chips and issues here and there.
    Last edited by GravityKnight; 01-21-2018 at 03:48 PM.
    S6S 116 w/VGs|MGL/FDS/AoA
    114hp zipper912|homebuilt headers/muffler/ram-air
    75"WW STOL|22x8.50mains/21x8.00nose/custom fork
    YouTube Channel

Premium Member (Donated) maverick's Avatar

Sir Knight-did Halls in Ogden get the rest painted, per previous contact info, or contacting paint shop if done there. Fruitful results if Halls could contact them + provide codes your way. Not mandatory, but nice touch if codes entered in bdlrs. log. Paint codes vary w/ Concept, PPG,, N.A.P.A. Martin Senour 3 various common, less = variation if Aerothane w/flex + hardener.. Avail. info, codes may depend upon if plane was painted by shop on an airport, or done in auto body shop, + how long they keep records. Chrysler pearl white varies from GM, etc. depending on sparkle, etc, as I'm sure you're well aware of. How long records are kept could be the key to this case, as I recently re- discovered this when modifying a cowling on another EAB, needing to re-paint lower lip same white, needing code.

I sent the RANS Part Department my serial numbers and after a few days they replied with the paint codes.

Premium Member (Donated) GravityKnight's Avatar

Thanks Dave!

Pretty sure it's PPG, and I have a store fairly close that sells and mixes and matches PPG, so I was going to take a few pieces into the store now that I have a few pieces from adding scoops and what not. Still haven't got around to it a couple years later One of these days!
    S6S 116 w/VGs|MGL/FDS/AoA
    114hp zipper912|homebuilt headers/muffler/ram-air
    75"WW STOL|22x8.50mains/21x8.00nose/custom fork
    YouTube Channel

Premium Member (Donated) Emory Bored's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I sent the RANS Part Department my serial numbers and after a few days they replied with the paint codes.
    Well, that's certainly better than the first answer. Sheesh, a store bought airplane and they won't look up the color? Anyway, I got a fabric patch and some hangar rash to attend to. I'll need to call parts.