Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3233343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: Glenn's S20

Premium Member (Donated) WWhunter's Avatar

Good job Glen! IS this more or less than you were hoping for it to weigh.

Premium Member (Donated) s19flyer's Avatar

I was hoping for 750's to low 760's so I got my wish!

Now we can actually have a real mattress instead of those pool floats and food/stove to cook it with when we camp in the back country!

Maybe even a tent you can stand up in!.....LOL
    Glenn
    Avid Flyer, S6ES, S19, S20 In Progress
    http://www.mykitlog.com/s19flyer
    Remember, I am not immune to mistakes!
    What works for me may not work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RANSCLAN.com View Post
    Should be flying by Saturday!!!

It's Saturday!
    Glenn

Yes it is!!! I have been patiently waiting for a flight report.

I am on the loooooooong home stretch in my search for my next flivver and the S-20 is on that list. It isn't at the top but it's in the top 5 tied actually with the Kitfox. The only reason it is on my list is the ability to fold its wings. Also, the KF and S-20 are very close in performance numbers as to be a wash. In case anyone is wondering the Legend Cub and CC's are on that list but it would have to be a well used CC as it is quite a bit above my budget. My favorite is my often suggested Murphy Rebel. Nearly the perfect plane for my use but reality says I will never finish mine.

I like reading actual owners reports verses magazine and interweeb reports. I think those guys are concerned with advertising dollars and are less than enthusiastic to give and 100% honest report. But then a person that has sweated, cursed, been self inflicted with injuries, might not want to say that his pride and joy is less than expected.

Premium Member (Donated)

Quote Originally Posted by s19flyer View Post
    It's Saturday!
    Glenn, thanks for the time and effort you have put into sharing your build via this thread.

I too am eagerly waiting to hear your flight comments.

Al

WWHunter wrote:

I like reading actual owners reports verses magazine and interweeb reports. I think those guys are concerned with advertising dollars and are less than enthusiastic to give and 100% honest report. But then a person that has sweated, cursed, been self inflicted with injuries, might not want to say that his pride and joy is less than expected.
    +1
    Amen to that.

I am curious what your top 5 ( or more) list might include aside from the CC, Cub Legend, S-20 and KitFox S7? I assume you are considering only Tailwheel, only LSA, and both tandem & side by side yes? I must say...all these choices are stunning.

Rans S-20

Kitfox S7

American Legend "Super Legend HP" Cub

Carbon Cub SS

Finally, S19Flyer's S-20 build is simply stunning as well. I think the unique paint job is what really really takes it over the top. I love the color selection. Like everyone else, I too anxiously await the PIREPS on this really nice S-20. Again congrats.
    " It's Always Something" - Gilda Radner (1946-1989)

" I love Horsepower, but love love love Torque "

" Nothings says poor workmanship like uneven duct tape "

Denali, My other choice is still the Rebel. I have a friend that has a LSA compliant Rebel that is super nice and he is needing to sell it do to health reason. I really like metal over fabric and the room inside a Rebel is awesome!

It has a Jabiru 3300 and is a pretty good performer even though it wouldn't be my choice of engines on a Rebel. Plane has all the bells and whistles, even auto pilot. He built it and flew it well over 400 hours, so I know it is a proven plane.

Glen,
    You probably mentioned it in this thread someplace but I missed it...what it the finned unit attached to the firewall with the hose going to the oil cooler? Part of an oil thermostat?

WWHunter wrote:

Glen,
    You probably mentioned it in this thread someplace but I missed it...what it the finned unit attached to the firewall with the hose going to the oil cooler? Part of an oil thermostat?
    After all is done with the flight testing and all the DAR sign offs completed, I would love to see a detailed review and photos of the final firewall forward assembly. I have watched the videos and reviewed all the great photos, and N220RR is really a superb piece of craftsmanship. We have all been to airshows and looked at homebuilts. Every now and then one comes across a plane that is built like the proverbial Swiss watch. I was at an airshow this week end and saw a Vans RV7A that looked like it had been put together by JPL in Pasadena. It was perfect perfect. It had a $30K Garmin all glass panel, AP, etc.

This thread has been one of the best I have come across in any of the websites. I would think that the information for this S-20 build would be very helpful to the builders of the upcoming S-21 Outbound as well. I think the FWF portion of the build presents unique challenges and opportunities. As per that "finned gadget" on the firewall, I am curious as well. Perhaps it is a secondary oil pressure pump that permits oil to be pumped and circulated prior to actual turnover and firing/startup of the engine. I always cringe when on a cold winter morning people start their cars and floor the accelerator to make sure the engine gets going. Poor cylinder walls and piston rings. Ugh.

Anyway, like a worn record, let me again offer Kudos on a really great build. N220RR is amazing !
    " It's Always Something" - Gilda Radner (1946-1989)

" I love Horsepower, but love love love Torque "

" Nothings says poor workmanship like uneven duct tape "

Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    Yes it is!!! I have been patiently waiting for a flight report.

I am on the loooooooong home stretch in my search for my next flivver and the S-20 is on that list. It isn't at the top but it's in the top 5 tied actually with the Kitfox. The only reason it is on my list is the ability to fold its wings. Also, the KF and S-20 are very close in performance numbers as to be a wash. In case anyone is wondering the Legend Cub and CC's are on that list but it would have to be a well used CC as it is quite a bit above my budget. My favorite is my often suggested Murphy Rebel. Nearly the perfect plane for my use but reality says I will never finish mine.

Just remember you will have a lot more work and fabrication to do with a Kitfox. And there are lots of extras to be purchased.
    Glenn