Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344454647

Thread: Glenn's S20

Premium Member (Donated) s19flyer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    Glen,
    You probably mentioned it in this thread someplace but I missed it...what it the finned unit attached to the firewall with the hose going to the oil cooler? Part of an oil thermostat?
    That is a heat sink style transmission cooler I got from Jegs. The early S20 kits had a slight oil temp problem (newer ones have the S19 FWF) and that is the solution. So far my oil temps are much cooler than others with the same setup. I did keep the opening at the cooler extra long (flanges on cowling halves) and it is very close to the cooler.

82deg. OAT and my temps are 189-209 depending on power setting.

My thoughts on this is the air coming through the radiator at the bottom is blocking the low pressure on the bottom from effectively pulling air through the cooler on top. But mines working good so.....
    Glenn
    Avid Flyer, S6ES, S19, S20 In Progress
    http://www.mykitlog.com/s19flyer
    Remember, I am not immune to mistakes!
    What works for me may not work for you.

Pink slip acquired!!!

And the take off

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Denali View Post
    WWHunter wrote:

After all is done with the flight testing and all the DAR sign offs completed, I would love to see a detailed review and photos of the final firewall forward assembly. I have watched the videos and reviewed all the great photos, and N220RR is really a superb piece of craftsmanship. We have all been to airshows and looked at homebuilts. Every now and then one comes across a plane that is built like the proverbial Swiss watch. I was at an airshow this week end and saw a Vans RV7A that looked like it had been put together by JPL in Pasadena. It was perfect perfect. It had a $30K Garmin all glass panel, AP, etc.

This thread has been one of the best I have come across in any of the websites. I would think that the information for this S-20 build would be very helpful to the builders of the upcoming S-21 Outbound as well. I think the FWF portion of the build presents unique challenges and opportunities. As per that "finned gadget" on the firewall, I am curious as well. Perhaps it is a secondary oil pressure pump that permits oil to be pumped and circulated prior to actual turnover and firing/startup of the engine. I always cringe when on a cold winter morning people start their cars and floor the accelerator to make sure the engine gets going. Poor cylinder walls and piston rings. Ugh.

Anyway, like a worn record, let me again offer Kudos on a really great build. N220RR is amazing !
    Thanks, it was a challenge and I try to do better each time....This is probably my last one <wink>

As mentioned the finned gadget is an additional oil cooler. This is no longer an issue since they upgraded the 20 and 21 to the S19 FWF design. I may have to put a thermobob in the water cooling system because at 82deg OAT the coolant temp is only ~161deg.F So when the cooler temps hit our radiant heater won't work very well! I also would imagine that if we increase the coolant temp the oil temp will follow. It's working and I'm flying it so I'll probably just leave it alone. But if I use any duct tape I'll make sure it's straight!!!

Testing is in full swing.

I had two squawks that I've fixed

The trim was backwards. A little confusing at first but once I figured it out I just adjusted for it.
    The COMM would not transmit. Found the PTT and MIC out to the radio from the intercom swapped.
    So I fired the wiring guy!

This thing gets off the ground quick! Especially if you just pull the stick back a little and let it fly off instead of raising the tail. Breaks ground with two notches at 41mph. My ASI is dead on so these numbers are accurate.

Power off stalls are:
    Clean = 46mph
    1 Notch = 42mph
    2 Notch = 37mph
    3 Notch = 34mph
    4 Notch = 32mph

Set the Dynon AOA today and while I'm sure the speed was probably off due to angle of attack it was impressive to see a 31mph full power @ 2 notches flaps stall.

Landing is a non event so far....minimal happy feet.

5100rpm is about 107TAS
    WOT @ 5500ft is 5670rpm and 122mph
    5270rpm on take off

Very quiet in the cockpit and it is stable straight and level. Fly's hands off for quite some time. Needs rudder as most tail draggers do in turns. The S19 will spoil you on this because if you keep the bank on it 10deg or less you can leave your feet on the floor!

10 hours on it so far

Stay tuned!
    Glenn

Premium Member (Donated) WWhunter's Avatar

AWESOME!! Thanks Glen for the report of it's performance stats.

Premium Member (Donated) GravityKnight's Avatar

Great numbers! Bringing it out to RANS in a couple weeks???!!
    S6S 116 w/VGs|MGL/FDS
    114hp zipper912|homebuilt headers/ram-air
    75"WW STOL|22x8.50main/21x8.00nose

Quote Originally Posted by GravityKnight View Post
    Great numbers! Bringing it out to RANS in a couple weeks???!!
    Weather permitting I plan on being there
    Glenn

Premium Member (Donated) GravityKnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by s19flyer View Post
    Weather permitting I plan on being there
    That's awesome Glenn, looking forward to seeing you guys and the new ride!!!
    S6S 116 w/VGs|MGL/FDS
    114hp zipper912|homebuilt headers/ram-air
    75"WW STOL|22x8.50main/21x8.00nose