Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chris's S-16 Build Thread

Thanks guys. I appreciate the support. I'll continue to provide updates when there is something to look at.

Hey everybody. Finally got around to updating my build thread. If you haven't noticed, this is more of a milestones kinda thread.

Anyway, so I got a few minor things I had been working on on the airplane wrapped up and focused all my attention (that I could spare from other projects around the house) on the control surfaces.

So, honestly, building the control surfaces was not very much fun. Actually, it wasn't much fun at all and I didn't take a whole lot of pictures that are worth sharing.

Yes, I like to wear flip-flops while working on my plane.

One of the most challenging aspects of the control surfaces was incorporating movable trim tabs. I wanted aileron trim as well as elevator trim. My objective is to be able to fly this thing with very light control inputs on cross countries. The Ran's kit did not come with trim tabs or plans to build trim tabs so I had to fabricate my own which took me about 60 hours each. After talking to other S-16 owners and builders as well as researching other similar aircraft I was able to determine dimensions as well as angles of deflection that would be optimal for the S-16. One of the parts that made this challenging was that I had to cut the trim tab out of the skin of the control surface without damaging either part (the skin or the tab), thus requiring extreme cutting precision. In other words, usually when you are cutting something out you keep one part and trow away the scrap, not the case here.

This is the left aileron and trim tab fabrication.

Here you can see the underside of the aileron trim tab. I used a piece of leading edge wrap to fill the gap created by the upward deflection of the trim tab surface.

Here you can see a closeup of the control horn I fabricated out of a bulkhead that I replaced.

Here is the finished aileron trim tab.

Last edited by Chris Hoek; 09-13-2017 at 10:00 AM.

And here are a few pictures from the elevator trim tab fabrication.

The underside.

Left and right gaps.

And the finished elevator trim tab.

Last edited by Chris Hoek; 09-13-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Things left on the list to do:

Canopy
    Wings
    Engine
    Avionics
    Finishing to include rigging, painting, weight and balance, etc.

I believe the next big undertaking will be the canopy, but I have a few things that I want to readdress before proceeding with it. I will continue to provide updates as best as I can.

Basic Member

Glad to see you are still at it Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMike View Post
    Glad to see you are still at it Chris.
    Thanks for the support Mike. I got a little burned out working on the control surfaces, but managed to push through. Canopy should be a fun build, I'm really looking forward to it.

Premium Member (Donated) GravityKnight's Avatar

any updates on this? the s-16 is an impressively fast plane!
    S6S 116 w/VGs|MGL/FDS/AoA
    114hp zipper912|homebuilt headers/muffler/ram-air
    75"WW STOL|22x8.50mains/21x8.00nose/custom fork
    YouTube Channel

Well thanks for checking on me Todd. I'm glad you asked.

I was going to start on the canopy right after I finished the control surfaces (mid last year), but decided to take another look at a few previously completed items. After discussing with Rans tech assistance and Randy himself, I decided to relocate the main gear forward by 2.5" through the use of some nifty relocation brackets I was going to make. This will help with the nose heavy condition of the airplane when it's on the ground.

I ordered the raw materials and before I could get around to making the relocation brackets, the big flood of Aug 2016 happened. Luckily we only got about 4" in the house, so we made out a lot better than many others. The tires on the S-16 got wet, no damage. I spent the next 7 months taking my house apart and putting it back together. I did manage to lose my camera that had all my construction photos on it. I've taken pictures with my phone as well, but only about 10% of the amount I was taking with the other camera. I'm not giving up my search, hopefully it's just misplaced and I will find it eventually. I don't even know what kind of issues this could create later when it comes to airworthiness and registration. Plus I had a lot of sentimental attachment to those photos, this is my first build.

After flood recovery it took about another 2 months for me to knock out all my normal home maintenance things I had gotten behind on. I just got reengaged on my project late last month. I got the gear relocation brackets fabricated and painted. I will post pictures once I finish installing. I am currently waiting on new gear leg fairings and some hardware from Rans in order to complete this effort. Due to the fact that the gear leg fairing will terminate differently where it meets the wheel pant (yes I have wheel pants) I had to get new ones because I had already cut the original ones to fit the original design. Unfortunately, Rans did not have these gear leg fairings in stock, so they are having to make them, which is taking FOREVER.

Anyway, once I get the plane back on its gear I will be starting on the canopy. I'm pretty excited about that part. It will be nice to have a way to close the cockpit and keep it clean.

I will post some pics when I get the gear back on. Thanks again for checking on my build.

Premium Member (Donated) GravityKnight's Avatar

Thanks for the update Chris!
    Real sorry to hear of the flood damage! That's terrible and I'm sure was a real nightmare.

Glad to hear you are back at it. Cool plane! ...good on you for sticking with it!
    S6S 116 w/VGs|MGL/FDS/AoA
    114hp zipper912|homebuilt headers/muffler/ram-air
    75"WW STOL|22x8.50mains/21x8.00nose/custom fork
    YouTube Channel

You're welcome Todd.

No worries, we were lucky. So many people lost nearly everything, our losses were insignificant comparatively.

Thanks again and stay tuned!