Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inquiry on 130 HP Rotax

Premium Member (Donated)

Default Inquiry on 130 HP Rotax

I've read various bits and pieces of a few guys that are getting 130 (?) Horse Power out of the 912. It seems they are using the 80HP model, turbo charging it and other little tweaks to attain this HP.
    Is there anyone on here that can shed more light on this?
    Reason I am asking is two-fold. One is I am building another plane and it will be on amphibs eventually. Also, I have a set of amphibs for my current S7 short tail and having flown floats on a different plane for a few years I know that HP is KING when it comes to float flying. One can never have enough good old Horse Power.
    Who does these engine modifications? Are they reasonably reliable and trouble free? Any particular vintage of engine that is not good for this conversion? I ask this because I do know of a low time 80HP 912 that is sitting in a plane that could possibly be purchased for a decent price.
    Thanks,
    Keith
    Last edited by WWhunter; 08-31-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Premium Member (Donated)

Call Ronnie Smith at South Ms Light Aircraft. He is the man to see for these conversions.

And ensure you have a spare 40 grand laying around too.

Premium Member (Donated)

40 GRAND!!! Crap, my plane isn't even worth that much. Guess I will have to rethink this dilemma a bit more. I can have a modded/strocked O-340 for way less than that.
    Ok, just looked at the website for South MS Light Aircraft.....all I can say is WTF!!! Pretty screwed up website with no information what so ever. Maybe the site is having issues because I can't find anything other than the basic home page.
    Last edited by WWhunter; 09-01-2013 at 08:19 AM.

Premium Member (Donated)

You could also sell your 912 and then buy a new engine that is actually designed for that kind of power, with lots of modern features. How about the ULPower UL350iS? 78kg (173lbs) all included, simple design, fuel injected, electronic ignition.

See: http://www.ulpower.com/engines/ul350iS/index.html

Premium Member (Donated) Windknot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scsirob View Post
    You could also sell your 912 and then buy a new engine that is actually designed for that kind of power, with lots of modern features. How about the ULPower UL350iS? 78kg (173lbs) all included, simple design, fuel injected, electronic ignition.

See: http://www.ulpower.com/engines/ul350iS/index.html
    Dang it Rob!!! You beat me to it.

Keith - Check with Rick Hayes - one of his booth-mates at the Midwest LSA expo is HOPING to bring his new S7 with a 130hp UL engine on it. Might just be the ticket.

There's enough market (for now) for used/well-documented 912's that I'm sure you can get a good return on you old engine to help offset the cost of the new UL (assuming it works out).

Based on current exchange rates price would be: $25,887.68 USD
    Last edited by Windknot; 09-01-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Basic Member

Here it is, although it is normally aspirated: http://sportair.aero/12-epapower/epapower/ Get out your wallet.

I have MW Fly and D-Motor posts and links on the "engines" thread. I read elsewhere that MW Fly is planning on releasing an engine with the prop turning the right way later this year. The six-cylinder D-Motor has not been released yet, but it looks like it will be in the 130-horse range. The UL engine also looks promising, but my understanding is that the ECU is not dual channel, so I would personally spring for the second ECU, since I don't have good fortune with the flow of electrons in airplanes.

Premium Member (Donated) Randy Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Planes are money pits View Post
    Here it is, although it is normally aspirated: http://sportair.aero/12-epapower/epapower/ Get out your wallet.

I have MW Fly and D-Motor posts and links on the "engines" thread. I read elsewhere that MW Fly is planning on releasing an engine with the prop turning the right way later this year. The six-cylinder D-Motor has not been released yet, but it looks like it will be in the 130-horse range. The UL engine also looks promising, but my understanding is that the ECU is not dual channel, so I would personally spring for the second ECU, since I don't have good fortune with the flow of electrons in airplanes.
    I'm curious about the fuel requirement for the 11/1 compression ratio. It seems that 8/1 or 9/1 would be a better fit with the trend in fuels these days.
    Randy
    S19 Jabiru 3300
    N726RC
    ATP A&P EAA Technical Counselor
    http://www.mykitlog.com/randyclark

Basic Member

Good question, Randy. In favor of the Rotax being detonation resistant, IMO, is that is has a small bore, is all aluminum, and has low CHT's with the liquid cooling. My understanding, although I would welcome a correction, is that the 912 does not have truly variable ignition timing, but just fixed low-RPM and high-RPM values. If this EPA-Power engine has truly variable ignition timing, this would also help detonation resistance.

I have read elsewhere that Rotax already has provisions with the 912iS's ECU for a knock sensor which will be utilized at some future date, so the factory is close. Since Rick Hayes is doing an iS install and is Rotax factory-trained, he could probably offer some good insights.

With several engines coming out with 130+ horse, I wouldn't be surprised if Rotax is working on something. As the old hot-rodder saying goes, "How fast do you want to spend?" For less than what that EPA-Power engine costs, I could do a 520 conversion (285-horse) on our 182, complete with prop and engine mount.
    Last edited by Planes are money pits; 09-02-2013 at 08:17 AM.

Premium Member (Donated)

I have been looking at the UL engine for several years. Yep, as others have said, another 'spendy' engine. Looks promising though.
    Since this engine will be going into something other than a RANS my options are quite diverse. Cost/benefits wise I may just end up going with a stroked 340/360 Lyc. clone. A LOT more engine (and correspondingly weight) for the same or less money. A plus for the Lyc. is if there is a problem most any FBO has the availability to diagnose or fix it. I was hoping to keep things light, hence the reason for wanting to modify the Rotax but they have their downside in cost vs. the HP you can get for that cost. Living up here in the boonies where a Rotax qualified tech is 'unobtainium' has its disadvantages.