Thread: Oratex fabric, field repairs

Hybrid View

Basic Member

Default Oratex fabric, field repairs

Hello,

This Oratex fabric is pretty amazing stuff. For instance say you are out camping with your airplane and it gets a hole poked in it. You could get out the duct tape and put a piece over the hole or you could get out your emergency Oratex repair kit.

With just a small piece of fabric, some scissors or a knife, a little glue, a camp fire to heat up a tool or a rock and you are back in the air.

The following pictures show how easy it is to repair, I used the end of a 3/8 " ratchet but a rock would have been just as good maybe better.

I did not try to make this patch pretty, just secure.

When you get back to the hangar you can reheat the patch, peel it off, and make a much nicer patch, or you could just cover the entire area with a patch.

Try and do this with any other covering system.

Mike
    Last edited by iceflyer; 01-04-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Premium Member (Donated) Crusader16's Avatar

Mike,
    That is so cool! I'm really enjoying your posts on this new covering system. Keep them coming. I'd wish A/C Spruce or Wicks would become a distributor for this product. I really think this has some potential for becoming the next modern covering method for tube and fabric airplanes.
    Not to change the subject, but that's a pretty niffty knife you have there. What kind is it if you don't mind me asking?
    Bob
    T31 AeroCountry
    McKinney, TX

Basic Member

Hi Bob,

Your comment: "I really think this has some potential for becoming the next modern covering method for tube and fabric airplanes." is so true. I think it already is the next modern covering system. I would not be surprised at all to see the other covering systems come out with something similar.

I am not connected to the Oratex brand and stand to make no money what so ever reporting about the stuff but I have to tell you what I know so far is that it is great.

There is already a North American distributor for Oratex.

The companies name is:
    Better Aircraft Fabric www.betteraircraftfabric.com
    Lars Gleitsmann is the owner lars@betteraircraftfabric.com

or phone number 907-229-6792

This fabric has been around for awhile but is just starting to be known in North America. There was a lot of interest in the fabric at Oshkosh last year and from what I gather a slow but steady increase of customers.

I have heard that there might be some effort to get the process certified but for homebuilders I can't see that as a plus because it will just get more expensive, probably.

As for the knife, It is an Oliver F. Winchester model that I got at Sportsmans Warehouse, I think it cost about $20. It works great and keeps a good edge and is light.

Mike

Premium Member (Donated) Crusader16's Avatar

Thanks Mike for the N.A. distributor info. I'll check out their website. As well, thanks for the knife info. I'll have to see about picking up one of those for the tool box. :)
    Bob
    T31 AeroCountry
    McKinney, TX

Pretty amazing stuff. You ought to do a weather wear test. Cover some sort of frame with the stuff and leave it outside. Send some to me and I'll leave it out in the California sun for a year to see how it holds up. I guess you could see how it holds up to wind, ice and rain.
    Scott VanArtsdalen
    PPG Pilot
    http://airprayer.net

Basic Member

Hi Scott,

There have already been cold and hot weatehr tests done on Oratex.

http://betteraircraftfabric.com/ and http://avidsimonini.blogspot.com/ (you will have to scan down a long way to find the test)

and still more to come,

Mike