Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6S vs 6ES

Premium Member (Donated)

Default 6S vs 6ES

Can anyone help me understand the differences? Either one easier for a first time builder? Eric

Administrator Site Admin RANSCLAN.com's Avatar

Eric, As far as I know the two airframes are almost identical with a few minor differences. The main difference between the S and ES is the way the two airplanes are 'skinned'.

The S model uses the Superflite method of cutting a polyester fabric, gluing it on, and the shrinking it tight. That fabric is then primed and painted. It is a fun but time consuming process.

The ES model uses a Dacron covering. Scott VanArtsdalen is experienced with this method as he just finished a real good lookin' ES. I believe the Dacron is made in color and instead of cutting and gluing it to the frame, it comes as an envelope that is pulled over the airframe and then attached. I believe it still has to be sprayed with a clear coat for UV protection.

The ES also has the option of two different instrument panels. You can get the 'full' panel which is the S model panel, or you may opt for a 'half' panel which is smaller and offer more visibility around the panel.

I believe those are the only differences.
    Mark Pensenstadler
    2003 RANS S-10
    2011 RANS S-6S
    2025 Vans RV-7
    1962 Piper Cherokee 160

I thought that the wings were different. The ES stands for Extended Span as the wings are longer to get it into the UK microlight specification. I could well be wrong though
    Tony H-S
    Blog (Essex Pilot's Diary) - [url]www.essexflyer.me.uk[/url]

Administrator Site Admin RANSCLAN.com's Avatar

I believe (and I could be mistaken) that RANS now only has one option for wings-the new Sport Wing.

Maybe Eddie Gil can chime in here??
    Mark Pensenstadler
    2003 RANS S-10
    2011 RANS S-6S
    2025 Vans RV-7
    1962 Piper Cherokee 160

RANS Factory Support

Actually, the suffix ES, stands for Ed Schwab, affectionately named after him because he has been working at Rans longer than anyone else. All kidding aside, to answer the original question, both S-6S and S-6ES Sport wings are the same dimension and airfoil. ES did stand for extended span long ago, and has remained to differentiate the Dacron slip on cover versus the dope and fabric version.

Premium Member (Donated) svanarts's Avatar

The only reason I went with the pull on Dacron skins is because I am developing a sensitivity to epoxies, glues, solvents, etc. I wanted to stay away from any kind of "doping" for fabric work. Pulling on the dacron skins presented it's own challenge but in the end do save a little time over the traditional covering method. Plus I believe the ES dacron skins are actually thicker than the superflight stuff.
    Scott VanArtsdalen
    The Flying Deacon
    S-6ES - N612SV
    http://airprayer.net

Basic Member

Is there any significant weight savings by using dacron rather than Superflite? I'm considering building an S-6 and still debating over which version to go with.

Premium Member (Donated) scoltharp's Avatar

Default Superflight vs slip-on weights

I have two neighbors that each built an S6ES at the same time I built an S6S. They both clear-coated theirs with the slip-ons. My S6S used the Superflight system. Mine was about 5lbs heavier than theirs. They were all equipped similarly.
    Randy at RANS had told me the shrink to fit fabric and paint would be a little heavier.

The Slip on covers are 4oz dacron and the shrink to fit fabric is 2.7oz dacron. I guess the filler, glue and paint make the 2.7oz wind up heavier then the 4oz in the end. Of course you can save some weight by not clear-coating the slip-on but the life will be shortened.

Thanks --- Lynn

Basic Member

Default 6S vs ES paint vs clear coat costs

I'm looking to become a first time builder and the S6 is high on my list. From what I can tell the 6S and 6ES are basically the same airplane aside from cosmetics (and of course the fabric type and build times). Of course cost is a big piece of the equation for finally picking a kit. Can anyone give me a ballpark number for the cost of painting an S6S (something simple, probably a basic 2 color scheme) versus the cost of clear coating the S6ES?

Premium Member (Donated) svanarts's Avatar

You have to factor some paint into the S6ES too. You still have to paint the cowling, wing tips, and other miscellaneous parts.

You're probably looking at just around $500 for paint and clear coat for the ES. At least at California prices.
    Scott VanArtsdalen
    The Flying Deacon
    S-6ES - N612SV
    http://airprayer.net